Hyperlinks

liunx

Hi Guys n gals,<br />
<br />
First time on this forum so lets see how it goes.<br />
<br />
I'm kinda ok with HTML but i'm stuck with one little problem. I have created a database in work and have also created a web page. I have created a hyperlink to the database and that works fine, the only problem is:-<br />
<br />
When i click on the link it gives me the option to save, open or cancel. <br />
<br />
What i want is:-<br />
<br />
When i click on the link, i want it to automatically open the database without the option to open save etc.<br />
<br />
The code i have is:-<br />
<br />
<a href=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"Databasexp.mdb" target="_blank">database</a> <br />
<br />
Which is just a simple link.<br />
<br />
Can anyone help?<!--content-->generally direct linking to a database will result in this because the client needs 'some' application to open the mdb file. Also, a db can be really big... making them not as useful were you to simply open the entire thing with a link. <br />
<br />
Id suggest placing a comma seperated value file (.csv) as your link, then excel will open it up in IE if linked to. .... <a href=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"linkName.csv">My db sample</a><br />
<br />
just export your db as a text file, with comma delimeters.<br />
<br />
<br />
finally, the whole idea of using a databse via the web isn;t to link to the entire thing... but to use server side coding to pull only what information the surfer WANTS to see.<!--content-->Hi Dr. Web,<br />
<br />
That would work if the DB is a static DB, but the database would be updated at least 20+ times a day, the web page i have created has about 5 hyperlinks on it to active databases. There would be about 10 people using the database, and its easier to put links on a web page rarther than telling all the staff where the databases are on the network, (the databases are on different drives).<br />
<br />
So exporting the DB to a text file wouldnt work as the db has forms on it that is getting updated every day by the 10 staff.<br />
<br />
Can you think of some sort of way to bypass the save,open etc... ?<!--content-->listen. You cant just link to the entire mdb file. The mdb file has all the database dependencies, users, permissions, stored procedures, tables..... everything. What you want to do is put up information on specific tables.... either through server side coding, or bumping them out in csv files.<br />
<br />
If you want to SHOW information in realtime you need to display it via server side coding. <br />
<br />
but you want to let all these people work on the db via the web. Either impliment server side coding, or if your running a database server let them access remotely. <br />
<br />
What you are trying to do is let someone take a copy of the db on thier machine, look at it,,, update it, and save it or something. Wont work. They wont be able to save it to your machine anyway without server side coding, and you'll be back at square one.<!--content-->

Back