hyperlink that opens A windows shortcut

liunx

I'm trying eliminate the need for icons on my desktop by opening programs from my desktop with a hyperlink or some other clickable web thing that will atomaticaly open up a shortcut file or program the same way you would as if you were using an icon. I would also like to know how to open up a location like a folder or a drive. much thanks.<!--content-->???<!--content-->If the hyperlink were inside of a html file saved on your computer:<br />
<br />
<a href=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"C:\My Documents">My Documents</a><br />
<br />
And the such should do the trick. If your unsure of the correct path, right click the icons, check out properties and it will provide the path.<!--content-->trust me I've tried that, but depending on where I'm trying to go sometimes I get the "page cannot be displayed" eror. And it doesnt work for files when I do it to a file it wants to Download <!--more--> it not open it.<br />
<br />
The only time I've gotten your method to work was with plain folder locations. MY computer, and any of the drives never work.<!--content-->Well, that's because the browser is trying to open the files. You can't create hyperlinks to anything but folders, because the browser will try to read the program, file, or whichever. That's what the startmenu and desktop icons are for. Browsers are meant to read and display files.<!--content-->then would I be able to do it via javascript or vbscript? or something else that can be kept in a web page?<!--content-->bump<!--content-->Try this:<br />
<br />
<A HREF=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"file:///c:\My Documents\">My Documents</A><br />
<br />
in other words, append "file:///" in front of the path in the address bar.<br />
That should work.<br />
<br />
:)<!--content-->yah but will that actually run a program or will I get a Download <!--more--> windowthing? and I've already solved the folder problem I need to run programs<!--content-->bump<!--content-->That will run the proggie, and will open a folder. Depend on what type of file the target is.<!--content-->Did that work??<!--content-->no it does not work the browser open the Download <!--more--> confirmation<!--content-->That method is useful for opening folders, but it can't open files directly, because the browser will attempt to open it. If it's a file that the browser doesn't understand, than you are going to get issues. There isn't a way around this (that I know of). You can just open the folder.<!--content-->bump<!--content-->A browser can't open an application. That's what your windows icons are for. A browser can open (or attempt to open) files, and will display a folder, but it can't launch programs.<!--content-->I've already showed you how. The method I showed you works when the page resides on the localhost (not being served from a webserver), and when opening a folder or file. Bob is right, if your browser could open an application, we'd all be screwed. Anyone who wanted access to your system could get it, no questions asked.<!--content-->

Back