HTML Validation Problem...

liunx

In my page, I have URI's that look like<br />
<br />
blah.com/blah?x=128&y=256<br />
<br />
and the validator is rejecting the &'s and the = signs... or maybe one of them. i have no idea.<br />
<br />
what can i do to make this validate?<!--content-->Correct the entity errors by changing every & in the URLs to be &amp; instead.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
The browser knows that &nbsp; is a space, and &copy; is a copyright symbol, and so on. When it comes across your &y code it goes looking for an entity called y. There isn't one and that is the error. You have to escape the &amp; symbol to correct the error.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
This is similar to the problem with the forum sofware. If you write &copy; in a message, then you only get &copy; on screen. In order to show &copy; on screen you actually have to write &amp;copy; instead. <br />
<br />
In order to get this to work as an example, I had to write one more &amp; than is shown on screen here. This then prints an & symbol, and the letters following are then free text, escaped from the entity.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
.<!--content-->ooo i get it, i thought if i did that it would alter the url and screw up the url itself... maybe not<!--content-->nah, it'll be okay. just change the all the &'s to &amp;'s<!--content-->The browser is smart enough to just send the & to the webserver when it requests the next page. It won't be a problem. It was designed to work this way.<!--content-->i see, thanks - it all worked out.<!--content-->Yep, I knew that it would.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
People assume that because it looks different, that it will work different. <br />
<br />
They assume wrong! <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
This question comes up a lot, and many people ignore it, rather than making the change on a few test URLs where they could verify that it really does work, before they change the whole website over to the required format.<!--content-->haha yeah now i have to back and change eeeeverything<br />
<br />
ahhhhHH!<!--content-->

Back