Html Table Layout

liunx

Greetings All!<br />
<br />
Can anyone help me with HTML table layout.<br />
<br />
I have a problem with one table on my site.<br />
<br />
It is at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.karsites.net">www.karsites.net</a><!-- w -->. Under the King's Lynn & Villages Mutual Exchange Register button.<br />
<br />
If you click on <Advanced Search for a Property Exchange> button, and take a look at the end of the search form. <br />
<br />
I have tried removing the colons from the text before the drop-down option buttons, to no avail. <br />
<br />
The browser insists on wrapping the text before the button. I want to display the text followed by the option button all on one line. <br />
<br />
The other problem is the browser insists on making the table wider than the sceen, when there is no need. <br />
I want the table the same width as the first part - which is a seperate table.<br />
<br />
Any suggestions would be wellcome.<br />
<br />
I would like to get HTML table layout working, withoyt having to resort to CSS just yet.<br />
<br />
<br />
Kind Regards - Jabez<!--content-->I do not see what you mean but I do see the browser a large vertical scroll bar that is there for no reason. How about you put &nbsp; inbetween each word, it will not wrap then because nbsp is non breaking space. There is something called nowrap, but do not use it, its deprecated.<!--content-->The HTML on that page is so totally screwed up I'm surprised it renders at all.<!--content-->nothing suprises me anymore :/ I have seen plenty of butchered sites, I do the clan's and guilds section on dmoz.org so its like every kid with a clan that started 3 days ago went to goodies and through something together and sent it to me... they all have horrid midi background music too. :(<!--content-->Here is the butchered code!<br />
<br />
I tried to Validate it at W3C, but it broke the Validator!<br />
<br />
Keith Roberts<!--content-->Can't comment on the php seeing as I do not use that, but it is a table based layout with no doc type which is undesireabl in my opinion, but maybe this company is a harlot that does not care about cross platform compadability or saving bandwidth.<!--content-->Hi PeOfEo.<br />
<br />
I have found a way to format the table now.<br />
<br />
The form is in a php4 include file, not a stand-alone php script as such.<br />
<br />
(I just include the form code where needed, and call the php4 function it lives in).<br />
<br />
I have tried to validate it, by adding the required DOC-TYPE and meta-data to the latest version of the code.<br />
<br />
The validator DOES NOT like my php code.<br />
<br />
The validator also complains about COLSPAN="nn%".<br />
<br />
Apparently, percentages are not valid in a COLSPAN.<br />
<br />
If I try and use <TH WIDTH="NN%"> it won't do what I want it to.<br />
<br />
So I can get the table layout the way I want it to be now, but it won't validate properly!<br />
<br />
Below is a copy of the code that is now working.<br />
<br />
Please note the invalid COLSPAN syntax, that actually does work, but will not validate.<br />
<br />
Kind Regards - Keith Roberts<br />
<br />
PS this new code will not be seen on my website yet, as it is in a different test directory.<br />
<br />
Also, if you view the live website code, you will see a scrambled version of my php/html code - probably why it looks such a mess! <br />
<br />
You will see that all php function names are replaced with f_nnn, and php variables with v_nnn. Also each script is ONE long line, as all EOL have been stripped out from the code.<br />
<br />
Also all comments have been stripped out too.<!--content-->In your HTML use " " not ' ' (see <TABLE tags>)<br />
<br />
No ending </td>'s or </tr>'s<br />
<br />
Errors in colspan=xx.<br />
This is for the number of columns spanned NOT a percentage of screen width <br />
and the number of columns MUST match for each <TR><br />
ie:<br />
<tr><td>...</td><td>...</td><td>...</td></tr><br />
<tr><td colspan=2>...</td><td>...</td></tr><br />
<tr><td colspan=3>..</td></tr><br />
<br />
If you want to set column widths, use...<br />
<td width="20%"> <br />
<br />
I suggest you create an HTML page with the desired table layout (not using PHP) and<br />
validate that. Then insert the code back into your PHP script. Might save you a lot of headaches.<!--content-->Hi Nedals.<br />
<br />
Thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions.<br />
<br />
I thought that the closing </tr> </th> </td> tags were implied by starting a new opening one, as in <P> tags.<br />
<br />
Also I did not realise that the number of columns MUST be the same for each row.<br />
<br />
Validating the HTML table code seperately from the PHP code sounds a good idea.<br />
<br />
I shall get on with re-writing my tables, and post an updated version when ok. Maybe several days yet though.<br />
<br />
Thanks again for your help.<br />
<br />
Kind Regards - Keith Roberts<!--content-->A quick read though the HTML 4.01 specs, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/">http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/</a><!-- m -->, indicates that the end tags are indeed optional. However, in the early days, NS would not correctely render a table without the end tags. I've used them ever since. It would not supprise me if other browsers mess up with missing end tags.<br />
<br />
You should also use an </p> tag. Again, they are optional but I highly recomend you include them.<!--content-->I have just applied your suggestions to one of my forms.<br />
<br />
As a work around I have changed<br />
<br />
COLGROUP SPAN=100 WIDTH="1%"<br />
<br />
So each table row is now 100 columns wide.<br />
<br />
Here is the latest version. <br />
<br />
NB there are still a few rows where COLSPAN=90. I shall finish tidying-up this test table tommorow.<br />
<br />
Next job is add DOC-TYPE and some meta tags, add see if I can get the form to validate properly at W3C.<br />
<br />
Thankyou. <br />
<br />
Kind Regards - Keith Roberts<!--content-->I took the liberty of re-writing your table.<br />
You really don't need 100 columns. Only 4 are required. <br />
<br />
Comments:<br />
* Get rid of all those 'spacer' lines. They are unnecessary and will slow down your site.<br />
* Took out a lot of unnecessary <br> tags<br />
* Added "" to several "center"<br />
* <option> uses 'selected' not 'checked'. In this case you don't need it because the first option is selected by default.<br />
* Removed 'align=left'. It's the default.<br />
* <A NAME='end'</A> missing an end >. What does it do anyway?<br />
<br />
Add a DTD and it should validate.<br />
<br />
Hope this helps. :)<!--content-->Hi Nedals.<br />
<br />
Thankyou for your comments and help.<br />
<br />
I cannot Download <!--more--> the form you have reworked for me.<br />
<br />
Can you email it to me please, to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->.<br />
<br />
<br />
The end tag was'nt meant to be there.<br />
<br />
Thanks Keith Roberts<!--content-->Originally posted by Keith Roberts <br />
I cannot Download <!--more--> the form you have reworked for me.<br />
Very odd?<br />
Click on link, save to your desktop, and change the name to an '.html' file. It works OK for me.<!--content-->Hi Nedals.<br />
<br />
I'm using Konqueror browser in KDE under Linux.<br />
<br />
When I click on the attachment, Konqueror opens another browser window.<br />
<br />
I then get the following error message in a pop-up box:<br />
<br />
Could not create view for unknown/unknown.<br />
<br />
Possibly have to tinker with file associations in the Konqueror browser.<br />
<br />
Regards - Keith Roberts<br />