html 4.01 strict and targets

liunx

I get an error in the w3c's markup validator when I use target="_new" in links. How should I do this then, such that it would be valid html 4.01 strict?<!--content-->there is no attribute value as<br />
"_new"<br />
<br />
I take it you want to open the link in a new window for that use<br />
<br />
target="_blank"<br />
<br />
Cheers<br />
<br />
Khalid<!--content-->They do the same thing. I think _new works because it's searching for a window named _new, but doesn't find one so it opens a new one. It doesn't matter, _blank is what I should be using, so I changed it to that. But the point is that the error is coming on the fact that I have <A ... TARGET="_blank"> the target part, not the _blank part. I think the strict doctype doesn't allow Targets, but that's just the only thing i can figure. So if that is the case, how do i open up links in new windows, I mean aside from using javascript. thanks.<!--content-->You may not use target in HTML 4.01 Strict. Use Frameset DTD instead<br />
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd"><br />
<br />
The reason its deprecated is probably because W3C wants to discourage webdevelopers from opening new windows on visitors machines??? :cool:<!--content-->

Back