htm VS html

What is the difference between .htm and .html?<!--content-->The obvious answer is in the spelling. There is an L or lack thereof. Other than that small difference, the two documents types are exactly the same. Both types may be used the same (on most host servers) and both will be rendered the same in browsers. <br />
<br />
There is one area of concern though, most host servers will require your default starting page to be named as "index.html" and not as "index.htm". Although that will also vary depending on your host and their setup. <br />
<br />
Should you use HTM instead of HTML or vice versa? That depends on your preference. What looks better to you? <br />
<br />
There are references back and forth about the origin of HTM being created on a DOS/Win3.x platform and then grew into HTML as operating systems became more powerful. Is it true? I don't know. I guess it depends on who you talk to at the time. These days there are an extensive number of different extension types that include 3, 4, up to 8 characters! We won't go into a list of them and thier differences though :) <br />
<br />
So... the end result is... there is no difference between HTM and HTML except for one letter.<!--content-->Yes, my understanding is that .htm dates back to when you could only have 3 letters in the file extension. As you said, depending on the setup of your hosts server, they may require it to be one or the other but other than that there is no real difference between .htm and .html.<!--content-->Text Book reply HTMLITE.<!--content-->I understood that the early web, accessed mainly from universities, usually using Unix or similar, nearly always used .html for the first few years.<br />
<br />
It was only when, later on, the public started getting web access that .htm began to be used. This happened because DOS had the 8.3 filename limitation. However, most people didn't realise that their FTP program could be used to rename the file on the web site after it had been uploaded; hence .htm became much more common for a while.<br />
<br />
With the switch to Windows 9x, and long filenames, .html has been seen a little more often nowadays.<br />
<br />
I understood that .html was used the most in the early days of the web, as Unix systems could already deal with long filenames.<!--content-->yeah an old teacher of mine said that .htm was the universal standard and that we shouldnt use .html at all but once he accused me of cheating when i designed my project website, all he taught me should have went out the window anyway.<!--content-->Originally posted by giz <br />
I understood that the early web, accessed mainly from universities, usually using Unix or similar, nearly always used .html for the first few years.<br />
<br />
It was only when, later on, the public started getting web access that .htm began to be used. This happened because DOS had the 8.3 filename limitation. However, most people didn't realise that their FTP program could be used to rename the file on the web site after it had been uploaded; hence .htm became much more common for a while.<br />
<br />
With the switch to Windows 9x, and long filenames, .html has been seen a little more often nowadays.<br />
<br />
I understood that .html was used the most in the early days of the web, as Unix systems could already deal with long filenames. <br />
<br />
great post<br />
definately sounds right<!--content-->Originally posted by fonzerelli_79 <br />
great post<br />
definately sounds right <br />
Beats mine in the lounge, too.<br />
Good answer.<!--content-->

Back