'.htaccess' and Front Page

liunx

Hi, <br />
<br />
On one hand, I am using FrontPage. On the other hand I never used '.htaccess' before. Now I want to use '.htaccess' to prevent people from being able to make a listing of directory contents. I read somewhere that FrontPage uses the '.htaccess' files so I should not edit them. Also, using the FTP tool I could not see any '.htaccess' files and when I uploaded one it disappeared which means to me I can't see it with WS_FTP PRO. C O N F U S I N G !!<br />
<br />
I like to keep using FrongPage and be able to use the '.htaccess' for the reason I mentioned above plus other reasons in the future ... what is a safe way I can do that ?<br />
<br />
Salam<!--content-->The reason the .htaccess file disappeared from your FTP program is that it is a hidden file - on UNIX-based operating systems an initial period designates a hidden file. You should be able to change a configuration option in WS_FTP to show hidden files (you need the -a option), but I don't know the specifics of that program.<br />
<br />
I wouldn't think FrontPage would use .htaccess files because FrontPage is Microsoft software, whereas .htaccess is Apache-only (I believe). You should probably check the FrontPage documentation to make sure.<br />
<br />
Good luck<br />
<br />
Adam<!--content-->

Back