how to upload 1 by 1 image to my webserver

liunx

im trying to place an html(.Gif) graphic in my outlook express to see if i can tell when my emails are read(opened). i can do number one but im stuck on number two does anyone know how to place a 1 by 1 image on my webserver? do i need my own server or can i use my ISP's Server? the four steps are below. <br />
<br />
<br />
the direction for step two are as follows, "Upload the image to your webserver <br />
Use whatever ftp (file transfer protocol) software you like and simply upload the file to your images directory. I normally make a special directory only for these images. This way my counter images are in a folder /images/counters/ to keep them seperate from the other images - it just helps keep things more managable.'' <br />
<br />
can someone expalin step two to me? <br />
<br />
here are the four steps:<br />
1) create a simple 1x1 clear .gif image. 2) Upload the image to your webserver so it is on the internet. 3) Insert the image at the head of your newsletter/email. 4) Mail out your newsletter/email to your mailing list. <br />
<br />
<br />
thanks<!--content-->THis is probably wrong but i think this is what you are trying to ask, You want an image to be the header of your emails, if this is what you are after all you need to do is make a template email & use that template when you are sending email to specific clients/friends...<br />
<br />
I am assuming you use outlook express, if so:<br />
<br />
Click the down arrow next to create mail, choose select stationary, then choose create new, the wizard will pop up & guide you through the rest of the process...<br />
<br />
You now need to add it to your stationary, click message, then new message using, then select stationary, your template should be in the stationary folder, if you can't find the stationary folder it is here:<br />
<br />
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery<br />
<br />
Now click that & you should be able to use the email template, it will appear in the stationary list now so you don't have to find it again, hope that helps... jaeman;)<!--content-->yeah, you'll need to sign up with a webhost, unless you're already running your own server. look for a host that's<br />
1) FREE<br />
2) offers hotlinking (linking to an image or a file from offsite)<br />
<br />
if all you need it for is the blank GIF, then i'd recommend a photo/image host that tells you how many times the file gets Download <!--more-->ed.<br />
<br />
good luck with your search!<!--content-->Originally posted by jaeman <br />
THis is probably wrong but i think this is what you are trying to ask, You want an image to be the header of your emails, if this is what you are after all you need to do is make a template email & use that template when you are sending email to specific clients/friends...<br />
<br />
I am assuming you use outlook express, if so:<br />
<br />
Click the down arrow next to create mail, choose select stationary, then choose create new, the wizard will pop up & guide you through the rest of the process...<br />
<br />
You now need to add it to your stationary, click message, then new message using, then select stationary, your template should be in the stationary folder, if you can't find the stationary folder it is here:<br />
<br />
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery<br />
<br />
Now click that & you should be able to use the email template, it will appear in the stationary list now so you don't have to find it again, hope that helps... jaeman;) that actually embeds it as an attachment. he needs to send a blank GIF from a webserver so he can see the stats on how many times it's Download <!--more-->ed (read), the sneaky devil.<!--content-->i dont know anything about webhosts , what are they? will i be able to use my existing email address or do i have to set up another email address with the webhost? if i do find a free one, which so far they all look like they charge, do i need to look for anything other than hotlinking, do i need a particular size (MB) amount? idont know if this is doable because i dont know what a webhost is but my ISP offers a free personal web page, can i upload my image there. will that work of do i need a webhost<!--content-->a blank GIF should take up next to no space whatsoever, so you should need a minimal of space. do a Google search for free web hosts and look for one that offers hotlinking. it may be a bit of a needle-in-a-haystack operation, as many hosts these days frown on hotlinking, owing to the bandwidth costs usually involved.<br />
<br />
you can use your existing email address, or one they provide you (if they do).<br />
<br />
make sure that they also offer some sort of stats service. if not, you can always find one for free somewhere, but try and stick with a host that already has that built in, as using your own stats program may lead to other issues (e.g., support of CGI/Perl/PHP/ASP/CF scripting, which invariably the stats program will have to use).<br />
<br />
you shouldn't need to worry about any other features, as long as you're only using it for the one little thing. bandwidth, in particular, should be no problem for your situation.<br />
<br />
<br />
so, to recap:<br />
<br />
free webhosting<br />
statistics<br />
hotlinking<!--content-->GeoCities would make a PERFECT host for you, except that they no longer allow hotlinking to image files. so skip them, but look for something similar.<br />
<br />
try and stay away from the ones that put pop-up ads on your site (you won't need to actually make a site - although it might be a good idea to anyway, because some hosts also don't like being used as file storage) ...the pop-ups may get triggered by a hotlinked image.<br />
<br />
some image hosting services might put a little widget on your gallery page saying (for instance) "this picture has been viewed 39 times." THAT would be perfect. or at least, it sounds like it to me, from what i can gather.<!--content-->Yeah trans, i did read the thread, the main part specified what you have explained but the end:<br />
here are the four steps:<br />
1) create a simple 1x1 clear .gif image. <br />
2) Upload the image to your webserver so it is on the internet. <br />
3) Insert the image at the head of your newsletter/email. <br />
4) Mail out your newsletter/email to your mailing list.<br />
<br />
<br />
Thats why i replyed what i did, see what i mean... jaeman<!--content-->yeah its hard to find offers free hotlinking<br />
<br />
my isp's offers a free personnel web page , can i use that as a web host???<!--content-->Originally posted by diablo <br />
yeah its hard to find offers free hotlinking<br />
<br />
my isp's offers a free personnel web page , can i use that as a web host??? that'd be perfect, so long as they allow hotlinking of images and give you some sort of statistics.<!--content-->looks like my personnel webpage would not support hotlinking so if any one out there knows of any free webhost that has hotlinking and stats let me know<br />
<br />
<br />
thanks<!--content-->

Back