How to preload content ?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what is the best way to have all of the site content (images, text, sound...) preloaded and then redirected to a start page???<br />
Anybody?<br />
<br />
thanx big time :D<!--content-->are you talking a flash page, or straight html?<!--content-->you gottabe more specific...relly. but if it's html then a good javascript is the way to go.<!--content-->Well, you got point guys...<br />
I do not mean Flash, but straight HTML...<br />
I've got about 250 K of files and would like to have them completely preloaded prior to start browsing...<br />
I am not talking about preloading images for the specific page, nor preloading page it self, but whole content of the site...<br />
I've tried something like this...<br />
from my DEFAULT.asp I linked to FRAME.htm page , which is a frames page ( no scrolbars /* this will be explained later ) consists of ALL.htm and a BOTT.htm.<br />
<br />
In that ALL.htm page I've put all of the images and flash clips...and set top margin to 600 px.... you will notice that, since the page is unscrolable, viewer is not able to see the images while preloaded... when the preloading is done the script I've got there <br />
<script><br />
var url = 'http://www.mysite.com/START.htm';<br />
</script><br />
redirects to START.htm page - body onLoad="location.href = <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/url;">http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/url;</a><!-- m -->" and the rest of the site is showed in that ALL.htm page <base target="_self"> .....<br />
<br />
It works fine apart from the facts the preloading is quite long (around 4 minutes for those ~250K)... and it plays sounds from a flash clip while preloading is still in progress....<br />
<br />
Is there a better way to achieve this using HTML...???<br />
..any suggestions?<br />
<br />
thanx again !<br />
<br />
peace :P<br />
nervo<!--content-->apart from preloading images through javascript, you don't have any control over the page loading. each browser is different and it depends on the link to the server. they all load different.<br />
<br />
see this page here loads for me all at once here at work. but at home it loads half the page then the other half.<br />
<br />
besides loading 250K takes way to long for users still on modems, anyway to cut that down or you will start losing visitors.<!--content-->scoutt thanx for ure comment..<br />
I am aware that 250 K is much.. but.. my question was<br />
how to preload the content?<br />
Anything on this??<br />
<br />
thanx<br />
nervo<!--content-->Originally posted by scoutt <br />
apart from preloading images through javascript, you don't have any control over the page loading. each browser is different and it depends on the link to the server. they all load different.<!--content-->:eek: <br />
man that's ok, but, if u have to make it the way I want, <br />
how would you do it?<br />
<br />
peace<!--content-->that is pretty much how you have to do it. you can't load a page in cache first then display it, if you load one page that one page will load how ever fast it comes from the server or the users host. either way i would split it up or do somthing else so it isn't so big.<br />
<br />
so the way you have it now looks to be the best way.<!--content-->=:O <br />
mmmh, thanx scoutt:D<br />
<br />
... more opinions??<br />
<br />
thanx all<!--content-->another opinion: <br />
<br />
forcing me to wait through 250k of stuff is pointless. Maybe I just want to see the first page or two of the site.... but you are MAKING me wait until all content for the entire site is loaded. why?<br />
<br />
It makes more sense to onloy load the content that I want to see, nothing extra.<!--content-->another opinion: <br />
forcing me to wait through 250k of stuff is pointless. Maybe I just want to see the first page or two of the site.... but you are MAKING me wait until all content for the entire site is loaded. why? <br />
<br />
It makes more sense to onloy load the content that I want to see, nothing extra. <br />
<br />
Dr. Web, you are quite right... I think I'm going to break<br />
preloading in pieces...<br />
<br />
Thank you for advice<br />
<br />
peace<br />
nervo<!--content-->

Back