How to perform ajax (jquery) functionality without using an external php file

Current scenario: I'm using the gmail oauth api to receive emails on a page. It's slow to load many, so I want to post each email on the page as it loads giving the user a chance to do other things on the site while the emails are still loading. There are a few files required\[code\]require_once 'common.php';require_once 'Zend/Oauth/Consumer.php';require_once 'Zend/Crypt/Rsa/Key/Private.php'; require_once 'Zend/Mail/Protocol/Imap.php';require_once 'Zend/Mail/Storage/Imap.php';require_once 'Zend/Mail.php';\[/code\]And a few functions on the main page that helps the php run. I am familiar with using the ajax call on jquery to call an external php file. I would like to be able instantiate php code on this page to function using ajax functionality so I don't need to worry about calling these required files and functions each time I check a new email. Is there a way to do this? \[code\] for ($i = $storage->countMessages(); $i >= ($storage->countMessages()-30); $i-- ){ { echo '<li>' . $storage->getMessage($i)->subject . '</li>'; } } \[/code\]Is the function I would like to function on the fly and return each subject one at a time to load on the screen. I assume I'll need to create a for loop using javascript, but the main issue is being able to use the php on the page so that I don't have to recall the includes each time. Maybe I'm curious about changing the scope of these variables, maybe the solution is being able to operate the ajax from this page without an external script - I'm not sure, but any help would be appreciated.

Back