How to delegate growing list of programming requirements

Mesimore

I seem to have a problem, I have a growing business to run but I end up spending a lot of time doing the programming myself and sharing some load with the one programmer I have under me. I had a team of 3 but 2 left cos I obviously was not very good at planning/delegating tasks and was more a hands-on kind of programmer. I preferred to have control and would find it really boring to plan out the requirements in writing and give it to them...I would just verbally give them the instructions and things didn't seem to work out very well that way.I need your suggestions. I have no experience of working in a development company, so not really sure how to go about the process of developing our web applications without me having to do too much detailed planning in the programming. I always have a basic idea of what needs to be done, I'd ideally like someone who can put that idea down into a detailed plan and program or manage the programmers. Are there people like that who perform such functions and if so, what are they called [Also, is it feasible to hire such a person with just one programmer and then perhaps hire more later]? Also, I've found that all our projects are constantly delayed cos we don't set any deadlines (we develop for ourselves), how to avoid that, do programmers work well with deadlines?I just want to be able to supervise all areas of the business and not just focus on development, which has been taking a lot of my time.

Back