Been to several sites that are wider than my 19" and<br />
can only imagine those with little 15 and 17 inch monitors.<br />
<br />
Is there a tag or something that will adjust my page<br />
to fit any size screen (15 to 21inch)<br />
<br />
Thank you in advance<br />
RGH<br />
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --><br />
----------------------------------------------<!--content-->Well, you want two different things: a page that adjusts to differing screen resolutions and a page that does not auto-adjust to fit the available width. Without using JavaScript, there is no way to do what you want. On most browsers, however, you can increase the text size, but not the sizes of images.<br />
<br />
The other option is to Download <!--more--> the latest version of the Opera web browser. It doesn't increase text size, rather it actually zooms in on the web page.<br />
<br />
As a beginner, I'm assuming you don't know much about Cascading Style Sheets. By using CSS, you can specify the widths of columns using ems, which is the average width of a character in a character set. By increasing the text size you increase the size of the layout. This allows you to design a page with a "static" width that is wholly dependant on the browser's text size settings. And when text gets resized, the width of the page changes in proportion.<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cm-life.com/pages/newdesign/">http://www.cm-life.com/pages/newdesign/</a><!-- m --> is an example of such a layout. It's kind of buggy in Macintosh browsers but works on PC browsers versions 5.0 and newer.<!--content-->Mr. Greg,<br />
<br />
Thank you for your attention and time in reply.<br />
<br />
I will go read up on the CSS. I read something (where?) that said to use (?) nothing more than 800 wide or use a '%' sign when writing the HTML and this would resolve the page being too large (wide) and would self adjust to the different screen sizes, depending on what a looker was using. Sure wish I could find that article again :(<br />
<br />
I threw in the resolutions, as not everyone uses the same as me. Sorry if this complicated my question.<br />
<br />
Thank you again for your advice<br />
<br />
RGH<br />
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --><br />
-----------------------------<!--content-->Not making your website more than 800 pixels wide would ensure that it would still be completely within the viewing area of someone who had their resolution set to 800*600. But, it would look incredibly small to anyone who had their resolution set to, probably, anything higher than 1024*768.<br />
<br />
You may also use percentages when defining dimensions, as that will cause your page to expand and contract according to the users' window size, or resolution.<br />
<br />
I'm not sure how that would work with increasing or decreasing the font size... My brain is a bit fuzzled at the moment.<!--content-->Personally I still choose to build my sites with framesets, because divs with so called 'internal HTML' need JavaScript to function.<br />
<br />
About the resolutions, you might want to check out <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.alpinetrekking.com/canvas">http://www.alpinetrekking.com/canvas</a><!-- m -->, where you can test your site at safe screen resolutions.<br />
<br />
Cheers, Jochem :cool:<!--content-->Originally posted by Paul Jr <br />
You may also use percentages when defining dimensions, as that will cause your page to expand and contract according to the users' window size, or resolution.<br />
<br />
I'm not sure how that would work with increasing or decreasing the font size... My brain is a bit fuzzled at the moment. <br />
<br />
Funny, I've just done this .... Everything resizes beautifully, except the fonts :rolleyes: It doesn't look to bad, but the lines of text in the window become ridiculously short when the framework's reduced in size. I set my default font as "relative" in a CSS stylesheet, which I thought was correct ..... but I must have missed something! <br />
<br />
I'll come back here & see if someone knows what I missed .... :D<br />
<br />
CAA<!--content-->It seems there is little to be done about the fonts ....<br />
<br />
<<HTML font sizes are relative, not specific, point sizes. Users set the point size of the default font for their browsers; this is the font size that they will see when you select Default or 3 in the Property inspector or Text > Size submenu. Sizes 1 and 2 will appear smaller than the default font size; sizes 4 through 7 will appear larger. Also, fonts generally look larger in Windows than on the Macintosh, though Macintosh Internet Explorer 5 uses the same default font size as Windows. >><br />
<br />
<<The default depends on your system鎶

Back