How should I write this query?

TeachMe

I'd like to write the following as a MySQL SELECT statement to cut down on the number of queries required to get the information, but I'm not sure how to write it.I have two tables - tags and books_tags (a many-to-many relationship junction table). The final output I want would print as follows:\[code\]<label for="formFiltertag1"><input type="checkbox" name="tag[]" value="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3816620/1" id="formFiltertag1" class="rank90" /> PHP (15)<br /></label>\[/code\]Where the text is the name of the tag (tags.name) and the number in parens is the count of how often the tag's ID appears in the junction table (COUNT(books_tags.tag_id)). The input ID and value will be dynamic based on the tags.id field. I originally thought I'd just run a query that gets all of the info from the tag table and then use a foreach loop to run a separate count query for each one, but as they number of tags grows that could get unwieldy quickly. Here's an example as I have it written now (using CodeIgniter's ActiveRecord pattern)...The Model:\[code\]function get_form_tags() { $query = $this->db->get('tags'); $result = $query->result_array(); $tags = array(); foreach ($result as $row) { $this->db->select('tag_id')->from('books_tags')->where('tag_id', $row['id']); $subResult = $this->db->count_all_results(); $tags[] = array('id' => $row['id'], 'tag' => $row['tag'], 'count' => $subResult); } return $tags;}\[/code\]The controller: \[code\]function index() { $this->load->model('browse_model', 'browse'); $tags = $this->browse->get_form_tags(); $data['content'] = 'browse/browse'; $data['tags'] = $tags; $this->load->view('global/template', $data);}\[/code\]The view (condensed):\[code\]<?php foreach ($tags as $tag) : ?><label for="formFiltertag<?php echo $tag['id'] ?>"><input type="checkbox" name="tag[]" value="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3816620/<?php echo $tag['id'] ?>" id="formFiltertag<?php echo $tag['id'] ?>" class="rank<?php echo $tag['count'] ?>" /> <?php echo $tag['tag'] . ' (' . $tag['count'] . ')' ?><br /></label><?php endforeach; ?>\[/code\]This works, but like I've said it's going to create way more queries than needed to get the job done. Surely there's a better way. Penny for your thoughts? Thanks much, Marcus

Back