How important is it to cater for different screen resolutions?

liunx

Hi. I've been designing a website, and since my monitor is set to a resolution of 1152x864, I've been designing it with that size in mind (with 1024x768 the lowest the site looks good on). Do you think it's really important and worthwhile for me to create alternatives for people using screen resolutions lower than that?<br />
<br />
Since the site is layed out within tables, I could use a "liquid" design where the table automatically resizes to fit the screen, but that would mean losing some very nice artwork in order to resize it all.<!--content-->My take on it is design for your public!<br />
<br />
If your designing a site for high-end games or graphics that only people with that kind of interest will look at it, then use a higher resolution than 800x600... maybe 1024x768 or something like that?<br />
<br />
Many differences of opinion will flow.... depends on who you want your site to be viewd by?<!--content-->I agree, depends on the res of your visitors expected.<br />
My stats show the majority as :<br />
800x600 = 37.07% <br />
1024x768 = 45.87%<br />
Personally, my family, friends and I use 800x600. Its been a comfortable setting for the past 4 years.<!--content-->Yep I would build it for 800x600, a lot of people still use that res. you can also have it self adjust to the users resoultion.<!--content-->yep, it so depends on your visitors, as htmlite said he has 45% at 1024x768, on one of my sites who's target audience is the every day person/browser without lots of computer/internet knowledge i have 82% at 800x600<!--content-->I agree that it depends on your audience.<br />
<br />
I generally design for 800&times;600, but I make my pages stretch if possible ('liquid design'), for higher resolutions.<!--content-->

Back