How do I use MySQL transactions in PHP?

killer_bee

I'm sorry, this is a very general question but I will try to narrow it down.I'm new to this whole transaction thing in MySQL/PHP but it seems pretty simple. I'm just using mysql not mysqli or PDO. I have a script that seems to be rolling back some queries but not others. This is uncharted territory for me so I have no idea what is going on.I start the transaction with \[code\]mysql_query('START TRANSACTION;')\[/code\], which I understand disables autocommit at the same time. Then I have a lot of complex code and whenever I do a query it is something like this \[code\]mysql_query($sql) or $error = "Oh noes!"\[/code\]. Then periodically I have a function called \[code\]error_check()\[/code\] which checks if \[code\]$error\[/code\] is not empty and if it isn't I do \[code\]mysql_query('ROLLBACK;')\[/code\] and \[code\]die($error)\[/code\]. Later on in the code I have \[code\]mysql_query('COMMIT;')\[/code\]. But if I do two queries and then purposely throw an error, I mean just set $error = something, it looks like the first query rolls back but the second one doesn't.What could be going wrong? Are there some gotchas with transactions I don't know about? I don't have a good understanding of how these transactions start and stop especially when you mix PHP into it...EDIT:My example was overly simplified I actually have at least two transactions doing INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE on separate tables. But before I execute each of those statements I backup the rows in corresponding "history" tables to allow undoing. It looks like the manipulation of the main tables gets rolled back but entries in the history tables remain.EDIT2:Doh! As I finished typing the previous edit it dawned on me...there must be something wrong with those particular tables...for some reason they were all set as MyISAM.

Back