How do I turn the following INSERT into a prepared statement so that its secure?

Asik

I'm trying to get my head around prepared statements.Basically, I would do a insert like so normally:\[code\]$sql = ' INSERT INTO customers (customer_first, customer_last, customer_address, customer_email) VALUES (' . mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['customer_first']) . ', ' . mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['customer_last']) . ', ' . mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['customer_address']) . ', ' . mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['customer_email']) . ' ) '; mysql_query($sql);\[/code\]From what I've been told however there is a more secure way to do this using Prepared Statements.So far I think it is done like so:\[code\]$stmt = $dbh->prepare("INSERT INTO customers (customer_first, customer_last, customer_address, customer_email) VALUES (:customer_first, :customer_last, :customer_address, :customer_email)");$stmt->bindParam(':customer_first', $_POST['customer_first']);$stmt->bindParam(':customer_last', $_POST['customer_last']);$stmt->bindParam(':customer_address', $_POST['customer_address']);$stmt->bindParam(':customer_email', $_POST['customer_email']);$stmt->execute();\[/code\]Is this correct? Or is there a better way to do what I'm trying to achieve? If I try the above I get an error "Call to a member function prepare() on a non-object" - what does that mean? I'm using the examples @ http://php.net/manual/en/pdo.prepared-statements.php. It refers to a $dbh - where does it get that from? Is $dbh supposed to be referenced elsewhere - I'm assuming it is something to do with the database connection?In addition to those questions, can I still use things like mysql_insert_id() or mysql_error() using prepared statements like above?

Back