How can I vendorize bcrypt in a PHP application (and should I)?

vhbolo

I am contributing to a relatively mature open-source PHP project. Recently, I discovered that it stores passwords as plain MD5 hashes, which is quite bothersome to me. I figured that if I was going to fix it, I might as well Do It Right(tm), so I wanted to use bcrypt.First, what I have found for other languages: bcrypt-ruby appears to use either the original C code from OpenBSD or jBCrypt's java code. py-bcrypt is a thin wrapper around the BSD code. BCrypt.net is a direct port of jBCrypt.Now, PHP itself supports bcrypt (albeit, misleadingly called simply 'blowfish') in the crypt function. However, versions prior to 5.3 require support on the system itself, generally provided by crypt_blowfish. phpass is the same, and recommends installing either PHP 5.3 or Suhosin.Since many users of the application use standard shared hosting, I don't want to require any special configuration of the server. I was hoping to just steal the code from PHP's 5.3 release, but it is in C, and (from the small bit of reading I've just done) I cannot require the use of a C-extension for the project's users.I thought of just creating a pure-PHP port of bcrypt, but looking at the source of jBCrypt, I am not sure that I should, given that I'm not incredibly familiar with either PHP or blowfish, and a mistake here could be simultaneously dangerous and difficult to detect in the first place.So, I present to you two (multipart) questions:Is my lack of PHP knowledge getting the best of me? Can I really use one of the already-created implementations?Should I instead just create a simple loooping function that calls sha1() or md5() repeatedly for some configurable number of times?

Back