How can I register as an independent student?

manthflo

I am not married, and my parents don't talk to me. I'm gonna be 19 come the fall '09 semester. I know all about the fafsa and what not, I just don't know what to do because I have no access to my parents information. I rent a room and pay my own bills. Any help guys? I really need it. <br />

Found-1

No way around it. Every kid has to report parents income until they are 24, married, have kids, become a veteran or a couple of others. It doesn't matter if they don't support you, that you don't live with them or who claims who on what tax forms. Sorry.
The best thing to do is call them and tell them you need it so you can pay for your school yourself without their help.

csi_blondie

Sorry. It doesn't matter if you don't speak to your parents (or vice versa) or not. Unless you can get yourself legally emancipated from them (which is not a speedy process, nor is it free), you are required to go by what your parent's info on their tax returns are for the FAFSA. And you cannot be eligible for financial aid w/out filling it out.

If they're really that unwilling, then I would say becoming emancipated is your only option in order to get any financial aid. You'll need an attorney for that.