How big are yours? Web pages that is!

liunx

As always, I'm struggling to keep my page sizes down while still including as many eye-candy images as I can. Forget CSS, forget JavaScript, page size and remembering that less than a quarter of users have broadband is far and away my biggest problem.<br />
<br />
So taking into account your html, all your graphics, any flash files, your CSS, any scripts that have to be called, etc, etc - how big are your web pages?<br />
<br />
BTW, I came across a nice little formula for determining load times for dialup users. It assumes that even 56k modems are only connecting at 33kbps (which is a fair assumption if you take into account the 3 main connection speeds of all modems - 28k, 33k, 49k) and so divides the TOTAL size of your page by 3 to give a figure in seconds.<br />
<br />
In other words a 27kb (say 6kb html + 18kb of images, including background + 3kb stylesheet) page would take 9 seconds to load.<br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->each on my web site is about 25 kb.<br />
and it tooks about 8 seconds to load my page (i've tried), so your formula is pretty accurate:D<!--content-->I was doing a bit more research on this subject and came across a very nifty little tool WebSpeed that will "tell you just how long a page will take to Download <!--more--> with modems of different speeds." <br />
<br />
It works great, even allowing you to enter an estimated percentage in for web congestion. However, I'm not totally convinced it takes into account everything in determining page size. It didn't seem to include say a background called by CSS, or the CSS file itself. It meant that for one page I calculated to be 39kb (background is 23kb), it said it was only 14kb. Nonetheless, it might be useful to some.<br />
<br />
You can get it from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tafweb.com/webspeed.html">http://www.tafweb.com/webspeed.html</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->I try and keep my webpages down, just assumming that most people are on modems and dont want to wait more than say 3-5 seconds for it to load. I would say that besides my forums, most of my pages are under 10k.<!--content-->I have pages that fall within just about all the ranges. My largest is 63k and the smallest is 7k. But they average between 10 and 30. It all depends on what pages they are. The largest ones are text only.<br />
<br />
Peg<!--content-->the real problem is when you start generating dynamic content... and you can't calculate the size of the page because the content changes each time. ;) <br />
<br />
Microsoft used to recommend that pages don't go over 50k in total size, unless your a powerhouse of info (yahoo, microsoft, ibm). <br />
<br />
Where I see people fail the most is by using a lot of gradients and precise graphics. The graphics by far kill the page the fastest. Hop over to website review and rerun this poll, and see whats on display. I'll bet you have a lot of content-less pages that are hitting 50K or more.<!--content-->Interesting, only 8 people voted so far.<br />
<br />
I guess it means one or all of the following:<br />
<br />
* Only 8 people here build sites;<br />
* My question was too obscure to be understood;<br />
* I'm being boycotted for being a pain in the proverbial;<br />
* Most people here couldn't care less how long their pages take to Download <!--more-->; and/or<br />
* It's a slow day. :D<br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->I think the thread has been very good.<br />
It is interesting to learn that 10-30 k seem to be the maximum recommended for fast loading.<br />
<br />
In any event maximum 50 k should be the maximum.<br />
<br />
quite eye opening.<!--content-->

Back