help with tables!!!

liunx

Hi friends,<br />
I have designed a web page, with a bunch of buttons on the left - and in the middle there is a main content of the site. The problem is that when I put text in the main section of the page, the bunch of the buttons go down couple of rows - it depends on the lengh of the text I put in the main section of my site. How can make this group stay on the top, no metter what is the lengh of the main section of my web site?? <br />
<br />
I HAVE ADDED THE SOURCE OF THE MAIN PAGE - PLEASE TAKE A LOOK!<br />
<br />
Thanks!!!!<!--content-->did you do this with the work of dreamweaver? If it was then it maybe because of that... hope i helped :-D<!--content-->So what if i did it with dreamweaver - I don't think it is becuase of that. anyway, how can I fix the problem?<!--content-->My quick advice is to do it again from scratch. I do it when my tables go murky.<br />
I looked at that code, and it has too many cells for me figure it by just looking. Simplify. Do you really need a table in a table?<br />
-------------<br />
| | |<br />
| 1 | 2 | Start a new file in DreamWeaver.<br />
| | | Make a simple 2 row by 2 column table<br />
-------------<br />
| | |<br />
| 3 | 4 |<br />
| | |<br />
-------------Merge cells 1 and 2. Split them. (Highlight the two cells, right click, choose Table > then choose Merge or Split as appropritate.)<br />
<br />
Put width="154" in #3.<br />
Split into as many rows as you need for your buttons. Copy & paste buttons into each row inside 3.<br />
<br />
Put valign="top" in #4<br />
The moment you stick lots of words in #4, all the rows in 3 will start spreading out to fill the space. There is a flaw in this table design I can't figure out, but I'm sure someone else can. I know I can figure this out eventually, but at this exact instance, I'm stumped. Instead, I provide the simplifed code for others to work with... If no one replies else replies, I'll try harder to solve this. I'm curious for the answer!<!--content-->The moment I click Post Reply <br />
the brain starts working... Cell 3 will always stretch to accomdate anything you put in cell 4.<br />
<br />
So, if you want fixed height thingies in a spot that will possibly always grow, you need a table in a table.<br />
<br />
To make your buttons stick close together, put a five row table inside cell 3. Make sure cell 3 has valign="top".<br />
<br />
If you want your bulk content to have a little border around it, put that table back in I was telling you to remove, and give it a cellpadding or cellpadding bigger than 0.<!--content-->I was almost going to have to hurt you postilord. until you posted that last one. :D good job<!--content-->A friend of mine would have called that a " brain fart ".<!--content-->thanks, my problem solved - you're all doing good!<!--content-->

Back