Help with first website

liunx

Hello everyone. Well, I'm very new to HTML, and I'm getting ready to make a website for the first time. I'm into alot of multimedia, making short films, music, photography, etc..so I basically just want to put up a site as a showcase. <br />
Anyway, seeing as how I dont know anything yet about HTML, I need some advice as far as the page layout. For example, I dont know what "sizes" are which. For example, I might be making menu buttons using Adobe Illustrator. When I make the buttons, what size should I make it? I dont know how sizes look on a web page. Whats the background "size" of a typical web page?<br />
I hope my question isn't confusing, but if you dont get what I'm talking about, ask, and I'll try to clarify further, in the meantime, thank you for the help and advice!<!--content-->hi axis-d and welcome to the forums :)<br />
<br />
page size comes down to resolution, mainly 800x600 pixels or 1024x768, you design can either be fixed or fluid, fluid being where you use %'s for the sizes so that your elements will expand/contract to each users resolution. I would design for 800x600 and you choose whether your design is going to remain fixed or expand to the larger resolutions. If you have a fixed layout on the larger resolutions you will get a blank space either to the right of your page or either side if you have it centered.<br />
<br />
buttons - basically that's up to you to suit your design, surf around and find a site which you like and get ideas from it.<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3schools.com">http://www.w3schools.com</a><!-- m --> is a great learning resource, there you should learn all you need :)<br />
<br />
Any problems in getting something to look right, or something isn't quite coming out how you would like just ask away in here :)<!--content-->Thank you for the help, :) . So just for my own reference, Lets say I had a box, and I specify that the width should be 400 ,this would be "400" pixels then, and it take up half of the screen on an 800x600 resolution screen?<br />
<br />
And would it be the same if I made something in photoshop? Like, lets say I size a photo to 400x400 in photoshop, then, when I'm putting it into my html, I make it 400 by 400. that means it will be the same size on the screen? I just want to make sure, thanks!<!--content-->Originally posted by axis_d <br />
Thank you for the help, :) . So just for my own reference, Lets say I had a box, and I specify that the width should be 400 ,this would be "400" pixels then, and it take up half of the screen on an 800x600 resolution screen?<br />
<br />
And would it be the same if I made something in photoshop? Like, lets say I size a photo to 400x400 in photoshop, then, when I'm putting it into my html, I make it 400 by 400. that means it will be the same size on the screen? I just want to make sure, thanks! <br />
<br />
... every browser do what it want... However,<br />
yes, if you specify 400 PIXELS the image will be more or less half screen (there is also the scrollbar)<br />
<br />
:)<!--content-->Hi, Axis! Welcome to the zoo!<br />
<br />
First off, I don't think Illustrator will save images as gifs or jpgs, the types of images that 99% browsers will "see". You'll have to use Photoshop or PaintShopPro (or something like that) to convert the images from EPS to gif.<br />
<br />
As for the size of buttons.... That's a hard one. It all depends on the words you use, the font and the size of your text. Going smaller than 9pt is going to make most text unreadable on all platforms. Larger than 14pt, I think, might make the buttons too big. <br />
<br />
If you're going by inches in Illustrator, don't make your buttons much past 1.5" in width and 1" in height. About 110x80px, but you could, I think, get away with a 50px height, too. (72 pixels = 1" - more or less)<br />
<br />
I don't believe, though, that you can size your images in percentages to fit any screen resolution. Those would have to be sized individually, so wide by so high.<br />
<br />
Hmmm... you're a photographer. There's another way you could create buttons, you know. Use parts of your images or clip art as a menu - an SLR, for example, for a still image gallery with parts of images to represent different subject pages, a video camera for a movie gallery, a picture of you for an "About the Artist" page... Then you'd just have to turn the image into a link.<br />
<br />
And when you're done, you could post your website URL in the "Website Review" forum and I'd get a chance to see all your pretty pictures! ;)<br />
<br />
Good luck!<br />
<br />
Peg<!--content-->yes you have to take into account the scrollbar, but you're thinking is correct, 400px in photoshop will also be 400px in a browser, but what changes it is the resolution, on a 1024x768 screen the 400x400 photo will appear smaller than on the 800x600 res screen, change the resolution on your pc to see how it affects things, right-click on desktop - properties - configure (translating from spanish, sorry if the words arent the same).<!--content-->

Back