HELP! trying to make a comments page for my site. (Frontpage Xpress probs)

liunx

Help, Im trying to make a comments page in my website, but i didnt know how to code for a form, so i used one of frontpage xpress' form wizards. It looks great, took me only 5 mins to build, but when peeps try to submit their comments, they get a 404 Error page from my host. I have run thru creating this page a hundred times, i know what im doing should work, but it doesnt. Here's a sample of the HTML, hope i grabbed everything relevent (chopped off the top cos it's irrelevent) please, let me know whats going wrong and how to fix it.... in simple terms cos tech jargon confuses me.<br />
<br />
<h1>Comments</h1><br />
<br />
<hr><br />
<br />
<p>BUILT BY HAND...cos i can hehehehehe..... comment lots, so i<br />
know this works.</p><br />
<br />
<form action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" method="POST"><br />
<!--webbot bot="SaveResults"<br />
u-file="file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/shocomm.htm"<br />
s-format="HTML/DL" b-label-fields="TRUE" --><p>Halt...Who<br />
Goes There? (name)</p><br />
<blockquote><br />
<p><input type="text" size="35" name="name"> <br><br />
</p><br />
</blockquote><br />
<p>E-mail (optional)</p><br />
<blockquote><br />
<p><input type="text" size="35" name="email"> <br><br />
</p><br />
</blockquote><br />
<p>Web Page URL (optional)</p><br />
<blockquote><br />
<p><input type="text" size="35" name="URL"> <br><br />
</p><br />
</blockquote><br />
<p>Comment (be gentle with me?)</p><br />
<blockquote><br />
<p><textarea name="comment" rows="5" cols="35"></textarea><br />
<br><br />
</p><br />
</blockquote><br />
<p><input type="submit" value="Submit Form"> <input<br />
type="reset" value="Reset Form"> </p><br />
</form><br />
<br />
If you want to see this ****-up in operation, the url is <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/the_Grove/comments.htm">www.angelfire.com/realm2/the_Grove/comments.htm</a><!-- w --><!--content-->hmmm...<br />
<br />
dont quote me on this becouse im not that great with forms myself but...<br />
<br />
<form action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" method="POST"> I think the form action should be a url that may be why your getting a 404 the action should = the url you need it submitted to. Of course i could be wrong.<!--content--><form action="script.cgi" method="post"><br />
<br />
<br />
that is what you need. but i don't think you can use cgi scripts on angelfire, might want to check on that.<br />
<br />
other than that it looks fine as the form goes. also take this out<br />
<!--webbot bot="SaveResults" <br />
u-file="file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/shocomm.htm" <br />
s-format="HTML/DL" b-label-fields="TRUE" --><!--content-->Thanks guys, i'll give it a try, and keep you posted. keep ya fingers crossed for me will ya? ...i cant wait to kill the guest-book i signed upto as a temp measure. I'll no doubt be back here next time i update my site, adding more stuff to it, i mean my host gave me 50megs, and i've only used 0.33 mb, so, lotsa room to play with...any ideas btw?<!--content-->I you're going to use frontpage extensions the website must be front page compatible, which I have no idea if Angelfire is. And this line will certainly not work on Angelfire:<br />
<br />
u-file="file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/shocomm.htm" <br />
<br />
this line should point to a directory on your angelfire website, not on your computer you have at home. Something like:<br />
<br />
u-file="file:http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/the_Grove/comments.htm" <br />
<br />
and the URL in your post does not seem to exist<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/the_Grove/comments.htm">http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/the_Grove/comments.htm</a><!-- m --><!--content-->Well Kevin, I'd have hoped you'd have realised i took the script straight from my HD version, and not from the version on angelfire, and i've come to the conclusion that Angelfire is not the place i wanna host my site, because they're anti frontpage and their own pre-whatevered CGI scripts (which you have to use) like the counter have been screwing up recently. And the comments page link i gave is a working link - just i signed up to a guest book in the short-term rather then ruin the whole flow of the site with a non-functional comments form, so you cant see it any more.... sorry, i forgot to update on that one. One thing i dont understand, in a lot of the posts in this forum, you guys are seriously anti-frontpage, why is that?<!--content-->in general.. Frontpage writes crap code.<!--content-->A colleague was doing a simple info site for his department with FP2002 (his HTML knowledge was zip 'til I put him straight ;) ), and for fun, I was showing him how to validate, and it passed! Sure surprised me! Maybe it's getting better.<!--content-->

Back