help - pdf downloads

liunx

Hi everyone,<br />
I'm new here - I really need some help with the site I am setting up. <br />
<br />
Basically I want people to be able to Download <!--more--> pdfs from my web site when they click on a link. <br />
<br />
I have absolutely no idea how to do this - you know when the Download <!--more--> box comes up and you select whether youd like to save/open the pdf, etc - well that's what i'm trying to achieve!!<br />
<br />
I would be greatful of any help!<br />
<br />
Thanks<br />
Kitten<!--content-->Its just like a normal link:<br />
<br />
<a href=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"Nameoffile.pdf">Click Here to Download <!--more--> PDF!</a><br />
<br />
<br />
Just be sure that you have the proper link to get to your file on the internet (the nameoffile.pdf should be replaced by your file's name- and if it's in a subdirectory on your server, be sure to include the proper link).<br />
<br />
Let me know if it helps :)<!--content-->It's a nice touch to specify the MIME type when linking to something other than HTML.<br />
<br />
<a href=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"someFile.pdf" type="application/pdf">Some File</a><!--content-->Thanks very much! It's not as hard as I was expecting!<br />
<br />
<br />
I'm off to experiment.<br />
<br />
Thanks again,<br />
Kitten<!--content-->Only problem you might have is some versions of IE display the PDF in the browser rather than Download <!--more-->ing it.<br />
<br />
If you don't mind wheter of not it's Download <!--more--> or just displayed leave it as .pdf.<br />
<br />
If you want to ensure it's Download <!--more-->ed place them into a zip file, which will be Download <!--more-->ed, and the user can unzip it.<!--content-->Originally posted by gavinnet <br />
If you want to ensure it's Download <!--more-->ed place them into a zip file, which will be Download <!--more-->ed, and the user can unzip it. Or you can have your server state that the MIME type of the file is "application/octet-stream". You'll have to talk to your server folks to find out how to do that.<!--content-->jhat just answered a question I was about to ask. I wasnt sure if you could force a file to Download <!--more-->. Im guessing you could do that to force a .php to Download <!--more--> instead of running on the server.<!--content-->Originally posted by gavinnet <br />
Im guessing you could do that to force a .php to Download <!--more--> instead of running on the server. No, that's something completely different.<!--content-->Ok I was totally wrong then lol.<br />
<br />
I'll have to do some research into that.<!--content-->

Back