Help! my 23 month old still nurses?

starcatcher3355

I was weaning him when he in late April but I lost a second trimester pregnancy and couldn't take losing my little girl and end nursing so I started nursing him again (in morning and at nap time). <br />
<br />
My problem is that I want to stop when he's when he turns 24 months but he's been waking up between 5 and 7 and comes into our room, climb into our bed and nurses. He even manages to gain access. He started doing this when we put him into a toddler bed. How do I break this habit without cause a big fuss so early in the morning? I also can't get him to take a nap without nursing him to sleep (I don't have that problem at bedtime, just at naptime). We tried letting him cry it out but after an hour and a half we gave up and I nursed him.<br />
Please help! I'd like to have my body back.<br />

Rachel

tell him it is all gone now. That's what i did with my 2.5 year old. She kept asking but I just kept saying it was all gone

meema

There's nothing wrong with that-he will stop when he is ready-when he's a little bit older, you can do a deal with him that he stays in his bed until 7 o'clock-then give him breakfast instead of a nurse. A couple of weeks later, offer him a cup of milk before nap time-just be patient.....he's still very young.

lilith2024

no offense..cause i really dont intend to offend..you really should have stopped nursing when he turned 1...only the first year is important to breatfeed..it would have been so much easier on you and him to stop. also at one he needs to start drinking whole milk unless he is lactose...other wise give soy milk. but to answer your question..all you can really do at this point is tell him no and offer a sippy cup or bottle with milk in it. DO NOT give in. if you give in he is just going to learn that he can get his way EVERY time with a little whinning. at this age they press your buttons so it is important that you keep your foot down. it may take a little while but he will get used to it.

i got 3 thumbs down for being blunt and truthful?? guess im the only one here being honest then..and like i said before i didnt intend to offend..just stating my opinion from my personal experiance.

mbnt

1st of all--I am so sorry for your loss.

RE weaning--I weaned my 18 monther slowly until we were down to 1 time a day. For bedtime/naps my husband really helped. My daughter would fall asleep without nursing for him while me she viewed as her personal 7/11--so for a period of time, he put her sleep. Although there is nothing wrong with nursing this long, if you're ready to be done it's time and he will be FINE without it. Slowly with husbands help worked for me.

mamaisland

My toddler is 3.4 and she still nurses.

If nursing is still something that you want to do, then I think that you should go for it. Don't live by others perceptions and expectations of you. Don't feel weird for nursing a toddler that old.

On the other hand, if you feel as though nursing should come to an end then I can only suggest being firm, and or taking your toddler out more to tire him out, to lessen his want for nursing.

The less he nurses the less milk you will have until it the milk finally goes away and then you will not be able to nurse your son at all.

I urge you to think about your baby, this is how he bonds to you, he might not be able or willing to break this bond.

Peole usually let chidren wean themselves. But then again you are not people you are you, so do what you think feel best for you.

Good Luck Mom

DSPB

Calm down...he will not nurse forever. At nap time, offer to scratch his back instead of nursing or read a book to him. With my daughter, the backscratching worked great. When he wakes up during the night, again offer to cuddle and scratch his back. My daughter slept with us until she was 4, but she weaned a little before her 3rd birthday. Now my daughter is 32 and is nursing her 2nd child. The first one weaned at 2. She just didn't care to nurse as long. The 2nd one is almost 2 and only nurses at night and nap time. Never let your child cry anything out. That's abuse. You don't have to give into demands, but you can at least be with the child and offer alternatives.