HELP! If you can solve this...you're an HTML genius!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Ok...I have spent the entire day trying to figure this out! I am so frustrated!!!<br />
<br />
I'm trying to create a yellow box that has an image on the left and right side that stretches. It can get it to work in IE and Netscape 6, but NO luck in Netscape 4.x.<br />
<br />
The image I'm stretching on the left is 15x1 and the right side is 14x1.<br />
<br />
Please view my page here and help if you can:<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.brianyoshida.com/test.html">http://www.brianyoshida.com/test.html</a><!-- m --><!--content-->there is something wrong with the 14x1 image. You have to redo it or make it a jpg. I changed it to a jpg and it worked fine.<!--content-->Originally posted by scoutt <br />
there is something wrong with the 14x1 image. You have to redo it or make it a jpg. I changed it to a jpg and it worked fine. <br />
<br />
Scoutt WINS..... he's an<br />
<br />
HTML genius! ;) ;) and more!!<!--content-->D'oh beaten by two this time.<br />
<br />
I was gonna suggest using this.<br />
<br />
<TD width="15" style="background-image: url(images/pop_stretch_left_15x1.gif);"></td><br />
<br />
and<br />
<br />
<TD width="14" style="background-image: url(images/pop_stretch_right_14x1.gif);"></td><br />
<br />
I see what you are trying to do... I don't think BG images work in NS4.x but some css does, the above might help you, don't have NS4.0 to try it but it is worth a shot... what does scoutt and sitetutor think? If you have NS4.x can you give this a shot so I know?<!--content-->Well I finally got it to work. I discovered shortly after I posted that there was indeed something wrong with the 14x1 image.<br />
<br />
Scoutt...how did you figure this out?<br />
<br />
The best part is...I'm able to run this code with no javascript or css!<!--content-->how did I find out? well when the image won't even show by itself is a good clue. :)<!--content-->that's weird cuz i was able to view the image, which is why i was so mystified. i have been a web developer for over 4 years and it sure was a pain in the ass. not to mention the fact that netscape is so picky with widths.<!--content-->Yes, go with scoutt's suggestion. Entimp's suggestion would not have worked in Netscape 4, as it does not support background images.<!--content-->So are you guys trying to say that <td background=""> does not work in Netscape 4?<br />
<br />
That's not the case, because that's how I'm doing it right now. It works fine.<!--content-->well NS4.xx will support the background: url() but is pretty buggy I'm sure. it will also support the background="" in table cells but it will choke when you nest them like that.<br />
<br />
the main problem was the image, not the way he was trying to show it.<!--content-->

Back