head/title

liunx

Okay I'm hoping that this will be the dumbest question I come out with but knowing me it won't be so here goes anyway.<br />
What is the difference between <head> and <title> ? I have read some explaination of them but they are terribly clear.:shady:<!--content-->Head:<br />
This part of your document defines the settings of the document so that your browser can interpret what it is all about. Like the meta tags that describe your page and what character set you might use.<br />
<br />
Title:<br />
This tag lets you describe your page, give it a title, fairly self describing. HTML 4.01 declares that all documents must have a meaningful title. Digressing but if you are learning HTML then stick as close as you can to 4.01 regimes, the internet will be turned on it's head one day. And 4.01 or child of will the way things are done (learn some CSS as well). It is a bit useless in the context of frames as each individual page only bare the frameset parent title. Be careful how you describe your main entry page as this means an awful lot to search engines and directories. You will also find that when you bookmark a page, the title will become the description for that bookmark. Also give seperate titles to all your documents, but stick to some kinda scheme. ie<br />
<br />
My Page Dot Com: Main Entry, brief description of page.<br />
My Page Dot Com: Forums, get your say in here.<br />
My Page Dot Com: News, We have the latest Buzz on ...<br />
<br />
I hope you get the point.<br />
<br />
The Title Tag has to reside in the Head Tag because it is describing your page.<br />
<br />
I hope that helps.<!--content-->Not a dumb question either.<br />
Most people just take for granted what a tag does, but not what it means. Ask more questions like that and you are on your way to learning how to use the tools about you in a strong way.<!--content-->That has helped thankyou.<br />
However I now have more questions. Will only meta tags and title go under the head section or is there more?<br />
What is HTML 4.01 and CSS?<!--content-->Just found out what HTML4.01 and Cascading Style Sheet are.:doh:<!--content-->there is more, but if you are learning... don't get in too deep. Start with the basics, META tags are pain enough and you could write a book about them alone. Research them when you come across them.<br />
<br />
"Small steps Ellie" - CONTACT (FILM/NOVEL)<!--content-->

Back