hard to explain

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if anyone can help me out. I have a page with a table in it with 2 columns. In the left column I have "Included" my menu which is just another php page. However when I put a lot of information into the main column of the page it slides my menu half way down the left column. Can anyone help me out or even understand what I am on about?! I just want the menu to stay put.<br />
Stay Happy<br />
Noodles<!--content-->For your left column data try--><td valign=top><br />
<br />
<table><br />
<tr><br />
<td valign=top><br />
yadda yadda yadda<br />
</td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><!--content-->if you don't have your menu and main part of the page in a table it will do that. text will always go above a table.<br />
<br />
you will have to position your tables or make one big table and have the menu and the main in a table inside of that one.<!--content-->Just to elaborate a bit:<br />
<br />
<table><br />
<tr><br />
<td valign="top"> Left column </td><br />
<td> Main Column </td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
<br />
the valign="top" aligns everything to the top of the table<!--content-->Originally posted by xlnk <br />
Just to elaborate a bit:<br />
<br />
<table><br />
<tr><br />
<td valign="top"> Left column </td><br />
<td> Main Column </td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
<br />
the valign="top" aligns everything to the top of the table <br />
only that cell ;)<!--content-->whoops, only that cell.<!--content-->I already have this;<br />
<br />
<tr><br />
<td width="16%" valign="top" bgcolor="#000000" bordercolor="#CCCCCC"><?php require ("includes/menu.php"); ?>td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
and it is within another table. The menu is in the left column and the main stuff is in the right (wider column). Just when I put more than a page worth of stuff in the main right hand column it moves the menu down in the left.<br />
Don't suppose anyone has any more suggestions?<br />
Cheers all.<br />
Stay happy<br />
Noodles<!--content-->Sounds like you have an embedded table, so you will need to post all of the code so someone can track down the correct cell that needs to be valigned to the top.<br />
<br />
In general, any cell next to a taller cell, will align itslef into the center vertically in relation to the taller cell in the absence of any alignment attributes. That includes an embedded table in a cell next to a taller cell, you need to valign the cell that contains the embedded table.<br />
<br />
Kevin<!--content-->Can you give us the page so we can look at it. We will also need the menu.php script.<br />
Good Luck,<br />
Paul<!--content-->Originally posted by Noodles <br />
I already have this;<br />
<br />
<tr><br />
<td width="16%" valign="top" bgcolor="#000000" bordercolor="#CCCCCC"><?php require ("includes/menu.php"); ?>td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
and it is within another table. The menu is in the left column and the main stuff is in the right (wider column). Just when I put more than a page worth of stuff in the main right hand column it moves the menu down in the left.<br />
Don't suppose anyone has any more suggestions?<br />
Cheers all.<br />
Stay happy<br />
Noodles <br />
that valign="top" will only align that menu you required in that table. you need to set that cell that holds that table to valign="top" (the cell calling the menu.php script) and it should make that table align top in that cell.<br />
<br />
<table><br />
<tr><td valign="top">left cell<br />
<table><br />
<tr><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
</td><br />
<td> right cell (main)</td><br />
</tr></table><br />
<br />
<br />
hope that helps.<!--content-->

Back