Global background for frames???

liunx

Hi <br />
I am fairly new to HTML, although I do know the fundamentals.<br />
I am trying to create a web page with a navigation bar situated to the left of the screen.<br />
I have put this navigation bar into a frame that points to the main part of the page to display its content.<br />
I have created a really cool background image that I would like to use, unfortunatley, the background appears in two parts. One part in the navigation window and one part in the main window (looks really NAFF!)<br />
Is it possible to create a seamless background using frames??.<br />
<br />
Any help would be appreciated.<br />
<br />
Tricia:confused:<!--content-->try and avoid frames, tables are best, more usable and browser friendly :) you can assign a seemless background image to the table itself as well as independant table cells. If you dont want to use em, look into em anyways, they'll come in handy in the future.<br />
<br />
:)<!--content-->tricia, what youre saying then is that you have a frame that contains the nav menu, this frame has borders/scroll bars and it chops up the neat background you have done, and what you want is for the borders/scrollbars to be gone, correct?<br />
or do you want your frame containing the nav menu to have a separate image?<br />
you'll have to excuse me if i'm way off and getting myself confused, i've got a horrid cold and these antibiotics just make me drowsy!lol<br />
<br />
leo<!--content-->ley me try to explain again.<br />
<br />
Firstly, I have removed the borders and scroll bars.<br />
<br />
If for example I split the screen vertically down the middle and created two frames, frame 1 and frame 2.<br />
I would then insert my background image into the content of frame 1 and into the content of frame 2.<br />
<br />
What I would end up with is the left half of the picture in frame 1 and the same left half of the picture in frame 2.<br />
<br />
What I would like is the picture to span both frames so that the left half is in frame 1 and the right half is in frame 2.<br />
It ends up looking like the example picture I have uploaded<br />
<br />
Hope this makes sense.<!--content-->the simplest thing i can think of is to get your image and simply chop it in half in photoshop or whatever you have, so you would would have 2 images which could be called lefthalf.jpg and righthalf.jpg, and then on your left frame have your background image as lefthalf.jpg, well i think you got that part :) <br />
<br />
leo<!--content-->its not possible because even if you did cut the image in half, its not going to tile correctly in either the left hand or right hand frame on the page at all, and that is only going to serve to mess up the over all look of the page.... very unprofessional. the only other way i can suggest it to make the left and right images the exact same dimensions as the left and right frames and then choose not to have them repeat in the background, ie.. have them set like a watermark in the top left hand corner of the left and right frame pages, this obviously means that you'll have two very large images... not a good idea.<!--content-->yeah i didnt think of the size of the frames, if both frames had exactly 50% of the screen they should tile ok, but it will be a pain working out the right %, tables are way easier<!--content-->if i were going to attempt that, i would keep in mind that different users have different screen resolutions and therefore larger or smaller stages with which to work... meaning that you have to be very careful with regards to tiling. hence, i would set the left side to align rightly and the right side to align leftly and set both, as mentioned, as fixed in place. i don't see any reason why that wouldn't achieve the desired results, although i wouldn't bet my life on it being incredibly stable over all platforms.<!--content-->Too bad you couldn't stick the frameset in a div. Or has that ever been tried?<!--content-->Originally posted by Android <br />
Too bad you couldn't stick the frameset in a div. Or has that ever been tried? i don't think that's possible.<!--content-->if, and I say IF, the page was short enough and you took the scroll bars out and set the frame border to 0 then you can split the background just fine. the only way to do it is if the page did not scroll. some sites have 4-5 frames pare page and the only one that scrolls is the bottom right of the screen and the rest stay stationary so the background is solid all the way across.<!--content-->i have never tried this, but it should work fine nonetheless. this should also not have to rely on any particular screen size also, which is something that plagues a lot of layouts.<br />
<br />
for the left side HTML doc:<br />
<style><br />
BODY {<br />
background: blue url("images/left.jpg");<br />
background-attachment: fixed;<br />
background-position: right;<br />
}<br />
</style><br />
<br />
and for the right side one:<br />
<style><br />
BODY {<br />
background: black url("images/right.jpg");<br />
background-attachment: fixed;<br />
background-position: left;<br />
}<br />
</style><br />
<br />
you could use classes instead and link to an external stylesheet, but this is the basic idea.<!--content-->Originally posted by scoutt <br />
if, and I say IF, the page was short enough and you took the scroll bars out and set the frame border to 0 then you can split the background just fine. the only way to do it is if the page did not scroll. some sites have 4-5 frames pare page and the only one that scrolls is the bottom right of the screen and the rest stay stationary so the background is solid all the way across. but... but... but what about a fixed background? that should be fine, shouldn't it? </whimpering><!--content-->well, not all browsers support fixed backgrounds. if you made a background fixed and the resolution was 1024 adn the background was 800 then it would create gaps huh?<br />
<br />
I would jsut set the frames at a percentage and make sure it looks correct in both resolutions and jsut make the page short enough to where didn't have to have scroll bars then it should be fine.<br />
<br />
BUT, I would just use tables and make my life easier. :P<!--content-->Originally posted by scoutt <br />
if you made a background fixed and the resolution was 1024 adn the background was 800 then it would create gaps huh? not if you aligned them. QED code above.<br />
<br />
(QED is my new favorite word.)<!--content-->Originally posted by transmothra <br />
not if you aligned them. QED code above.<br />
<br />
(QED is my new favorite word.) <br />
actually it would all depend on how big the rigth frame is, the image might be too small for that frame at 1024x768<br />
<br />
<br />
Understand QED :D<br />
<br />
what does that actually stand for so I don't get my self in trouble. :P<!--content-->Q.E.D. = quod erat demonstrandum (that which was to be demonstrated) :D<br />
<br />
anyways, if you plan it right, though, like align your background towards the center and keep it fixed, it should be okay on the vast majority of browsers though, non?<!--content-->quod erat demonstrandum == that which was to be proved or that which was to be demonstrated<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Quid Quid latine dictum sit, altum sonator<!--content-->Originally posted by giz <br />
Quid Quid latine dictum sit, altum sonator what does that mean, and where can i find a decent latin translator online??<!--content-->>> Quid Quid latine dictum sit, altum sonator <<<br />
<br />
Whatever is said in Latin, always sounds profound.<br />
<br />
<br />
[Seen at the bottom of some email many years ago]<!--content-->Originally posted by giz <br />
>> Quid Quid latine dictum sit, altum sonator <<<br />
<br />
Whatever is said in Latin, always sounds profound.<br />
<br />
<br />
[Seen at the bottom of some email many years ago] hahahahahahaha!! :rofl:<!--content-->can you set percentage values for background images? if so that would work wouldnt it?<!--content-->no you can't. that is teh same as giving the image a size that is a lot bigger or a lot smaller and would pixelize the image.<!--content-->

Back