Getting rid of a   tag - HELP!

liunx

I have a white space in my web page that I need to get rid of. The page was created using FrontPage 2000. When I couldn't delete the space using the FP editor, I looked at the html code. There is a &nbsp tag right before the closing </body> tag, and I can't seem to get rid of it! Every time I delete it, it comes back. Does anyone know how I get rid of it?<!--content-->what is the sites address or html code?<!--content-->& nbsp; is leaving 2 spaces between words.<br />
<br />
If you want that out, then you simple take out the extra space between words, and the & nbsp; code will be taken out auto. <br />
<br />
P.S. I left a space between the & symbol and the nbsp; since it doesn't show up in the post.<!--content-->Can you copy your html code and paste it over here?<br />
<br />
I tink you put the <p align="justify"> tag after <body>. chk that..<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
AMRUTA<!--content-->I've experienced this with Netscape Composer. That tag forces a space. Just go into text editor or something and delete it manually.<!--content-->Yup, just open it in some kind of text editor such as notepad and delete it manually and save it, but if you open the page in FP at a later time, it will probably add it again. :(<!--content-->I tried deleting the space in a text editor, but it came back as soon as I pasted the code back into FP. I HAVE to use FP! This is really frustrating!<br />
<br />
Someone asked me to provide the html code (I can't provide a url, because it's an Intranet site, behind a firewall). I'll attach the .htm document to this posting. I don't know if that'll help or not. The white space I'm referring to is NOT between words, as one of the respondees suggested, but an entire line. It only shows up when I put in the shared bottom border. The space is NOT in the bottom border file, though.<!--content-->Well, as frustrating as it is, you will, as Ian said, have to stop using frontpage.<br />
<br />
Besides, if you are serious about being a webmaster, you cannot use frontpage anyway.<!--content-->I'm sorry to hear you say that, since I work in a very big corporation that has told us we HAVE to use FrontPage! I don't have any say in the matter. I've heard that said about FrontPage before - no serious webmaster would use it! But, again, I have to, and little ol' me can't do a thing about it!<!--content-->Then I'm afraid it looks as though you're stuck with that white space. :(<!--content-->Front page has some problems, but it is a great program that saves you time. To get rif of the white space do this:<br />
Right click on the file that you want to edit using front page, do open with..., choose Text Editor, and remove the tag on the bottom, then click save. This should work.<br />
Good Luck,<br />
Paul<!--content-->Well, isn't that what Ian suggested? It will work but they need to open it in FrontPage in the future which instantly puts the space right back in there again.<!--content-->Goldilocks is right - I deleted the space in Notepad, but it came back when I opened it in FP again.<!--content-->Something you could try is inserting an html tag where your space is. Have nothing in it but <!-- --> . It may work for you as I have done this in the past in some places.<br />
<br />
Failing that I would talk to your bosses and let them know of your problem/s and say if they want a decent page built, they will have to be more flexable on the type of composer. Any company should respect your expertise and knowledge and understand FP's abilities are limited and the program is not without its faults.<!--content-->I have worked for companies who use FR and/ or dreamweaver. Once I show them how the pages render in netscape, I win the battle of editors. <br />
<br />
Now however I work on a corporate intranet site as well. Fortunately the requirements are way beyond the scope of FP, so I get to hand code..... which is really the best option. <br />
<br />
Any company that mandates the use of FP is not interested in anything but 'give me a web site now.' Don't worry, your company will come around. FP may be good for intranets running IE.... but thats it. And my opinion is that it barely does an acceptible job at that.<!--content-->Bless you, Ian the Almighty! The html tag worked! I knew there had to be a way!<br />
<br />
I sincerely doubt that the company I work for will ever go with a different editor. They're pretty stubborn. This isn't the first wrong decision they've made. But thanks for the advice, and I have printed out your comments about FrontPage. I'll pass them on.<br />
<br />
Thanks again!<!--content-->

Back