getting caught

zglowsy

can i get busted if a have an original vbulletin but a nulled vbseo?
is there a way they'll find out as soon as i go online?

Security2009

Just put htaccess file to passwd the access on publicly vbseo available files, and remove copyrights, then they should first proove you're using vbseo wich is not simple cos rewriting urls is not copyrighted, so no you cannot have problems with them ;)

zglowsy

hey thanks a lot guys
"Just put htaccess file to passwd the access on publicly vbseo available files"
can you explain a little how do i do this Security?

Security2009

for example

Code:
<Files vbseocp.php>
AuthUserFile /home/login/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthType Basic
require user vbseo
</Files>

That way if someone request vbseocp.php he'll be prompted for a password and won't see the seo login page and you can protect the public accessible files that way without loosing the CP access cos you know the passwd.

If you need a good .htaccess tut , look here.

DON

Technically if they KNOW the folder exists, even if you password protect it.. they will know. You can always deny it and say it's an empty folder, but then they will ask your host to CHECK the folder and you'll get screwed...

But it's still better than having it open there.

anupam_luv

Can u suggest what should be the rules for .htaccess in ISAPI_REWRITE under IIS... (yes ISAPI_REWRITE recognises .htaccess now).... n whr 2 put htapswd file on iis... plz suggest

The Prodigy

actually if you have a nulled vbulletin but have a real license..(yes it is possible) nothing can happen unless they have proof that you didnt buy it. and if they take it down you can show them your license then you have your site back. This has happened to me numerous times.. you are fine.

anupam_luv

Hey, thanks for the +ve response...... but what's worrying me a lot is the mail they sent to me last month via some agent.....
But its been over a month I havent got such mail again....

Have a look at it....... n tell me is there anything to worry?

-----------------------------------------------------------
DMCA NOTIFICATION OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

Date: 13 October 2007

Greetings

I am an agent authorized to act on behalf of Jelsoft Enterprises Limited who exclusively own vBulletin, a forum Software.

I can find no record of this user purchasing a site license for this location http://www.somesite.com/index.php

Please suspend/remove the GUI and files and prevent future abuse.

NB: If at your own prerogative you offer your client an opportunity to remove the site themselves or purchase a license as opposed to your removal or suspension of service, please be aware that Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
whilst happy to respect your goodwill gesture, in no way requests or requires such action from you and reserves the right to decline the license purchase and refund the fee. Copyright protection not revenue collection is our primary concern and motivation and some forum content if it damages others or breaks our AUP is not allowed.

Formality:

In accordance with the provisions the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of

Please expeditiously "take down" or "block access" to the infringing material and take appropriate action against the customer to prevent future abuse.

Declaration:

I, the undersigned, CERTIFY UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY that I am an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner of certain intellectual property rights, said exclusive owners being named:

Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Howarth Lodge, 7 Reading Road, Pangbourne, Reading, RG8 7LR

I have a good faith belief that the items or materials listed below are not authorized by the above intellectual property owners, their agents, or the law and therefore infringe their rights.

I further aver that the information contained in the Notice is accurate.

Software: vBulletin

I may be contacted at:

Pirate Reports
PO Box 36
EAST MOLESEY
Surrey
KT8 9XT
ENGLAND

Tel: 44(0)20 8941 1843
Email: [email protected]

Truthfully,

A. Popa
Investigator
Romanian Office

Pirate Reports

This information may be passed to your client who should already be aware of the situation. The sender accepts no responsibility for an end users incorrect registration or failure to do so as the Terms and Conditions of Use are clearly explained as an integral part of the purchase procedure.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.4 (MingW32)
Comment: PirateReports Public Key
Pirate Reports

iD8DBQBHEOR9sET8wU8f+dwRAokcAJ9AbZEMvCzOkoRpj7xuVhK69f601ACgk4Yo
8Q0LCRxy0IrFkZfMjQKuNm4=
=B46Z
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

anupam_luv

The thing is jelsoft may be having the database of issued licenses and thier corresponding sites whr the script is installed.... they can verify easily...... isn't it?

Bye... n ya I will reply u after 12hrs as its too late here already 6 AM n I got to sleep... :)
Bye..n thanks n hope to get another +ve response otherwise I will have to arrange a lot of bucks 2 bye vbull+vblog+vbseo n thats too for my 3 forum sites .... aah I will suicide after that :((