Generate Unique ID number to be submitted as part of a form

liunx

Hi,<br />
<br />
I work for a software publishing company. Our technical support is now completely web-based. However, we also want to provide an off-line version of the support form which is sent to customers who send support queries to the old support e-mail address. I have created a html form which then sends the information to us in an e-mail.<br />
<br />
Now for the bit I am having problems with... I am wondering if the following is possible. We need to be able to track the e-mail through our system etc. Is it possible to generate a unique ID number and place this in the subject line? (Or even the message body, if that is not possible) Our current online form generates a 13 digit number which is the number of seconds since a certain date using the customers system clock.<br />
<br />
This unique number does not have to be as large or use the same principal but would need to be unique.<br />
<br />
I would appreciate any help you can offer.<br />
<br />
Thanks<br />
<br />
Craig Maddocks<!--content-->as in off-line what do you mean, on cd or what? usually you should do it by serverside code but you say offline so I am curious as to what means you mean by. you might be able to do it in javascript but that is not very secure.<!--content-->Hi,<br />
<br />
The html page containing the form will be sent as an e-mail attachment. They can then fill in the form without being connected to the internet.<br />
<br />
The resulting e-mail with the unique ID will just sit in their inbox until they next connect to the net. This form is really aimed at users who do not have internet access but can still send e-mail.<br />
<br />
Craig<!--content-->that is a very buggy way to go as some users have html turned off in their email program. and I think on some email machines where that is the only job of the machine is jsut that email no html.<!--content-->

Back