Gallery 2 problem

liunx

I have not used this one part of my website in a few months, and now I believe since they upgraded the version of PHP on the servers I get the following message on my pages and I was wondering if any one knows how to get it to stop comming ip.<br /><br />Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference<br /><br />I have found this topic about this issue but I can not figure out how to make those changes so that it will not display that message. If anyone has any idea can you please let me know.<br /><br /><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I get "Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in ", what's wrong?<br />Most probably you are running PHP 4.4.0+ and use the PHP Zend Optimizer (see phpinfo). This is a Zend Optimizer bug. See <a href="http://gallery.menalto.com/node/36605#comment-133101" target="_blank">http://gallery.menalto.com/node/36605#comment-133101</a> for some explanations. <br /><br />Solution: Use a newer Zend Optimizer version, e.g. ZendOptimizer-2.6.2 or later versions. <br /><br />If you run PHP 4.4.0 but don't use the Zend Optimizer, then most probably you're using a G2 version which is older than G2 Beta 4. You should upgrade to the latest stable release of G 2.0. <br /><br />If you or your host is unwilling to disable or upgrade the Zend Optimizer to a fixed version or change the PHP version, there's a workaround (solution discovered by Mark Scott, 13/10/2005, "I've found that removing optimization pass 1 removes the notices caused by optimizing away the variable that should be referenced and returned.") In php.ini replace: <br /><br /><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->zend_optimizer.optimization_level=15<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->with: <br /><br /><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->zend_optimizer.optimization_level=14<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->You can also just suppress all PHP warnings but there's no guarantee that G2 actually works as expected: <br /><br /><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->/* in index.php, main.php and install/index.php */<br />error_reporting(E_ALL &~ (E_NOTICE | E_WARNING));<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><br /><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--content-->
You cannot change the php.ini on a shared server as it will have an effect on all the users of that server.<!--content-->
Besides what Rob said, my wife runs a G2 gallery and is receiving no errors. <br /><br />Open a help desk ticket and have the techs have a look.<!--content-->

Back