Frames or Tables

windows

I'm making a simple homepage.<br />
<br />
Navigational links are to be on the left side,with a main window on the right.<br />
In the nav window,I;ll be using a java script that I found on the net from a link from these forums.<br />
<br />
Now of course I want any links from the nav menu to open up in the main menu. Do I have to set up my page with frames,or can I use tables?<br />
<br />
I know how to link the windows when using frames. But can you really open the main table area without having to load the whole page when using tables?<br />
<br />
Hope that made sense.<!--content-->I don't think so.<!--content-->nope, in tables there is no way to have only one cell of the table reload from a link (if that is what you were asking)...go with the frames!<!--content-->No, you cannot change just part of the table. But you were planning only to have a menu on the left, right? How many bytes is that going to be? And even if you insist on adding a logo or something it will already be in the cache when you go on to page two. To visitors it will seem as if only the right cell is changing. Tables have numerous advantages, and create none of the problems you will have with frames. <br />
<br />
The main advantage of frames is if you have a large number of pages and change the menu. But if you have the beginning and end of main content clairly marked, it will only take a few seconds to cut and paste from old to new template. So you should not consider frames unless you start working with several hundred pages.<!--content-->For your page that you are doing. I would reccomend frames as you cant target a table cell with a link<!--content-->You can use <DIV> tag to do a layered aproach if you are clever enough.<br />
<br />
This loads most things client side.<br />
<br />
check out <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.jamesseabright.com">www.jamesseabright.com</a><!-- w --><br />
<br />
Just keep images to a min.<!--content-->Originally posted by Johan <br />
You can use <DIV> tag to do a layered aproach if you are clever enough.<br />
<br />
This loads most things client side.<br />
<br />
check out <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.jamesseabright.com">www.jamesseabright.com</a><!-- w --><br />
<br />
Just keep images to a min. <br />
<br />
this effect can be hard for some people that dont know or haven't heard of this! But yes it does have a good effect if you can harness it<!--content-->why not SSI?<br />
<br />
index.shtml for each dir location and access the root table and local edited html?<br />
<br />
keeps a clean look and doesnt require too much memory on the viewer side if you build the navigation the right way.<br />
chris<pixelmonkey>:monkey:<!--content-->

Back