Frames and tables.....no scrollbar!

liunx

ok. heres the deal. Three frames. scrolling set to auto, no, and yes. I expect that in the frames where scrolling was set to no, and auto...there would be no scrollbar. In the frame where it is set to yes, I expect a scrollbar. OK this works as expected. But in (see the code):<br />
topframe scrolling=yes<br />
leftframe scrolling =auto<br />
rightframe scrolling =no<br />
<br />
The red line in the leftframe is the background color of that individual page, but the table back is white. Technically the table should span 100% of the frame, and therefore no red should be visible. The only way I have found to make the browser to get rid of the extra space reserved for the scrollbar is to assign scrollbar="no" as seen in the right frame. <br />
Anyone know a way to alleviate this problem?<br />
here are the pages:<br />
<br />
Frameset:<br />
<html><br />
<head><br />
<title>frameset</title><br />
</head><br />
<frameset rows="20%, 80%" frameborder=0 framespacing=0><br />
<frame src=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"topframe.htm" scrolling="yes"><br />
<frameset cols="20%, 80%"><br />
<frame src=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"leftframe.htm" scrolling="auto"><br />
<frame src=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"rightframe.htm" scrolling="no"><br />
</body><br />
</html><br />
<br />
<br />
top frame:<br />
<html><br />
<head><br />
<title>top frame content</title><br />
</head><br />
<body bgcolor="green" topmargin=0 bottommargin=0 leftmargin=0 rightmargin=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0><br />
<table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 bgcolor="#ffffff" width="100%" height="100%"><br />
<tr><br />
<td>The top frame</td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
</body><br />
</html><br />
<br />
left frame:<br />
<html><br />
<head><br />
<title>Left frame content</title><br />
</head><br />
<body bgcolor="red" topmargin=0 bottommargin=0 leftmargin=0 rightmargin=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0><br />
<table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 bgcolor="#ffffff" width="100%" height="100%"><br />
<tr><br />
<td>The left frame</td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
</body><br />
</html><br />
<br />
right frame:<br />
<html><br />
<head><br />
<title>right frame content</title><br />
</head><br />
<body bgcolor="blue" topmargin=0 bottommargin=0 leftmargin=0 rightmargin=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0><br />
<tr><br />
<td>The right frame</td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
</body><br />
</html><br />
<br />
Thnaks so much.<!--content-->Try this: in the BODY tag of leftframe.htm add SCROLL="NO". Worked for me in IE but did not check in Netscape. <br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
Kevin<br />
<br />
[Edited by kevin on 02-27-2001 at 03:33 AM]<!--content-->Hmmmnnn, what I want is to eliminate the space reserved for a scrollbar, but use a scrollbar if necissary. Scrolling="auto" should do this, but it leaves a gap...just big enough to fit a scrollbar.....even though there is no scrollbar.<!--content-->hmmm....no scroll bar at all the way I mentioned....don't know Doc...Just use a white background instead of a red one?<br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
Kevin<!--content-->I recreated your situation and see whats happening. I also tried Scroll="no" in the body tag of the page and found it works in IE only, but you may as well write scrolling=no in your frameset as that is what it is essentually doing and you are looking for a work-around for this. (which I might add am as lost as to if there is one as you are) :(<br />
So far, I havent discovered the secret.<!--content-->Thanks for the effort Ian/ Kev! I hate to admit it, but sometimes there ARE limits.<!--content-->

Back