Forms and frames

liunx

I'm in a bit of a bind now. I have this form used to pull data from a remote server. When I submit the form, it returned a result page, as expected. However, when this form is put in a frame, it returned a blank page, instead of the result page. <br />
<br />
Can anyone explain as to why this can happen? How can this form not work within a frame, when it does outside it?<!--content-->Can you post the code?<!--content-->Sure. A frame is looked at, by the browser, as another window; a completely seperate document. If the form is placed inside a frame, then all of the code that processes the actions of that form will have to go with it. Nesting a form inside a frame can have other complications, which is why I dont. If you are used to tabular layouts (gosh forbid :rolleyes: ) then nest the form in the table. However, my recommendation is that you ditch the frame and use a DIV/CSS layout with SSI (ServerSide Includes) and nest the form inside one of your DIV's. This would be much more accessible than frames :)<!--content-->If it was up to me, I rather not use frames. But in this case another prominent website is linking to this page within their frames, so that's the cause of my distress. Funny thing is that there's another form on the same page that works fine.<br />
<br />
Sorry I couldn't post the code, as it'll identify my client. Just theorically, can a frame have any affect on a particular form?<!--content-->Hmm, how would not using frames affect this other site's linking to you; I don't understand?? I understand about the client; I deal with that often.<!--content-->It's quite complicated to explain. Let's just explore the possibilities. Is it possible that a from will not function perfectly when placed within a HTML frame? The form works fine when used outside the frame. When applying the target="_top" attribute, the form returns a result page as normal.<br />
<br />
Any thoughts?<!--content-->I see your point :) Yet, theorically, a form should work when placed in a frame, but not all browsers handle forms the same way as, let's say, IE. Infact, some browsers do not handle them at all, hence is why they are not accessible; This is where I see you having problems with your site in the future. :)<!--content-->

Back