Form Data: Value Order??

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know how to gaurantee that the values inputted by the user on a form will be in the order they appear on the webpage when submitted?<br />
<br />
I know there is a way but can't remember or find the resource that explains it?<br />
<br />
Askingforhelp<br />
a.k.a. petrocan<br />
<br />
p.s. Sorry, and can I have spaces between sections of the data that is submitted?<br />
<br />
ie. (would look like this)<br />
<br />
Query Results:<br />
<br />
a=1<br />
2=b<br />
3=c<br />
<br />
4=d<br />
5=e<br />
6=f<!--content-->Are you using any server side languages in your form or is stright email or through a feedback center?<!--content-->Let's assume there is no SSI and its being submitted through email<!--content-->well I whould think it whould be in the order it appears in the form like if you object at the top is 'name' then name whould be the top thing in the email. But Im not positive on this. Ill look around a bit<!--content-->Thank you. <br />
<br />
I figure it should show-up in the order the variables are in, but I printed a test page with some data variables from the form and they were scattered in various orders, so...????<br />
<br />
I just want ot make sure this soesn't happen to someone else.<!--content-->Huh. It whould not be going in any random order considering that there is in reality no true random, when it comes to computers of cource. I whould have thought it whould go in alphabetic numeric or in the order of the form. I have not seen anything yet about it. I use cgi and just started using asp.net and when using that yes there is way to do it. I have one more place that I think might have the answer<!--content-->FOUND IT!<br />
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="order" VALUE="visitor_name, email, problems, os, description"> Its on one of my own sites too that I did a long time ago. This is a feed back centers code :D . Try it make sure it works<!--content-->So all I have to do in insert this HIDDEN input value in to the code and than type the order I want the variables to be in?<br />
<br />
Sounds simple enough...thank you very much.<!--content-->Yea try it see if it works. Name it though<!--content-->I am having the same problem as Petrocan. I tried the above, and all i get on my form reply another randomly ordered value that looks like this:<br />
<br />
order = visitor_name, email, problems, os, description<br />
<br />
Still need something.<br />
Please help.<!--content-->Originally posted by Nelson19777 <br />
I am having the same problem as Petrocan. I tried the above, and all i get on my form reply another randomly ordered value that looks like this:<br />
<br />
order = visitor_name, email, problems, os, description<br />
<br />
Still need something.<br />
Please help. AHHHH, you bumped a thread that is over a year old. Now I have to reread it all and see what stupidity I spewed a year ago and help you with your problem... hold on. Ah, ok. Back to the question of the day, what are your server side scripting options.<!--content-->I'm not a 100% sure what you mean by server side scripting options, but Telus (my provider) gives me this explanation for CGI scripts on their server that run their ready made forms:<br />
<br />
CGI stands for Common Gateway Interface. Basically, a CGI is a script on a WWW server that takes data or input from a user (where appropriate) and returns the result to the user. For example, many pages will allow you to search a site for a specific keyword. When you type the keyword into the text field and click submit, it is usually a CGI script that takes the keyword and creates a page of matches for you to look at.<br />
For security reasons, TELUS Internet services can't allow you to store your own CGI scripts in your Webspace. However, we have written some common CGIs that you can easily add to the functionality of your Webspace. Follow the links below for instructions on how to integrate the CGI's into your web pages. <br />
<br />
They then give an html form that looks like:<br />
<br />
<center><br />
<table border=1 cellpadding=8 cellspacing="0"><br />
<tr><td><br />
<!--Be sure to change "yoursuerid" below <br />
to your actual telus.net username--><br />
<br />
<form method=post <br />
action="http://www3.telus.net/cgi-bin/[email protected]"><br />
<br />