footer won't stay at the foot

liunx

I have a footer in a table that I include at the end of each page. The include code is in a Dreamweaver template. This works fine in every page on my Web site except one. In that one, the footer appears to the right of the page content, instead of below it. This is driving me nuts. The page content consists of some nested tables--a main table, with two tables within it. The one on the left is a navigation panel, the one on the right contains text. I've checked the tags a billion times--they match. But the footer table appears to the right of this main table, rather than below it.<br />
<br />
Does anyone have any idea how I can get the footer to stay at the bottom of the document?<!--content-->Can you post a link please??<!--content-->I would be happy to. The demon page is here:<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.permutations.com/util_details.php?UtilityID=1">http://www.permutations.com/util_detail ... tilityID=1</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
Scroll right to see the footer. ::sigh::<br />
<br />
Thanks very much for looking. It's driving me crazy.<!--content-->hi permutations...<br />
<br />
after a very quick look at your source code...<br />
i can see that the footer table follows a closed </tr> tag.<br />
<br />
if you wish to nest that table...<br />
it needs to be inside of a <tr> and <td> (and then you need to close those AND the nesting table).<br />
<br />
that appears to be the problem (as nested tables are wont to be).<br />
<br />
;) k<!--content-->Actually, I don't want to nest the footer table, and haven't had to in any of the other pages of my Web site. The structure is like this:<br />
<br />
<br />
<table> <!--main table --><br />
<tr><td><br />
<table> <!--nested table on left --><br />
<tr><td>data</td></tr><br />
</table><br />
</td><td><br />
<table> <!--nested table on right --><br />
</table><br />
</td></tr><br />
</table><br />
<br />
<table> <!--footer --><br />
<tr><td>footer stuff</td><tr><br />
</table><!--content-->okay...<br />
you say that this is the structure...<br />
but...<br />
<br />
<table> <!--main table --><br />
<tr><td><br />
<table> <!--nested table on left --><br />
</table><br />
</td><td><br />
<table> <!--nested table on right --><br />
</table><br />
</td></tr><br />
MISSING --- </table> --- MISSING<br />
<br />
<table> <!--footer --><br />
<tr><td>footer stuff</td><tr><br />
</table><br />
<br />
(I didn't look too closely... so I was only assuming that you were nesting it with the others. sorry)<br />
<br />
fix that though.<br />
then it should probably work.<br />
;) k<!--content-->Someone in another forum found the problem. Here's what he said (this worked):<br />
<br />
<br />
Found it. Here's a piece of your code:<br />
<br />
<!-- main table --><br />
<table width="100%" align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><br />
<tr><br />
<td valign="top" width="120"><br />
<br />
The align="left" attribute is asking the browser to push the<br />
next piece of content to the right of that table (hence why <br />
the footer, your next piece of content, is on the right).<br />
Eliminate it completely and everything will work itself out.<!--content-->that may be (i didn't look too closely after I saw the missing </table> tag).<br />
<br />
but anyway.... you still have a missing </table> tag<br />
<br />
glad your up and running though<br />
(enjoy the long weekend.. if your from the US. Otherwise.... get back to work :) )<br />
<br />
;) k<br />
<br />
EDIT:<br />
by the way.... I think he might be wrong about that... but quite honestly... I don't have time to look at your code.<br />
You DO need to put a </table> in there though. That's probably the only problem (not alignment).<br />
But whatever.<br />
<br />
take care...<br />
;) k<!--content-->He wasn't wrong--he was absolutely right. I did what he suggested and it fixed the problem.<br />
<br />
I don't think I'm missing a </table> tag. I've looked at the code very carefully.<br />
<br />
How come this forum is suddenly extremely wide? The forum software seems to be having problems.<!--content-->you caused the forum to stretch when you pasted that long line of code.<br />
<br />
logic check:<br />
<br />
if you have a table that is outside of any other table...<br />
why would it move to the right side of the page?<br />
<br />
Answer:<br />
because it is NOT outside of another table... it's within a table that is not properly constructed.<br />
TABLES STACK<br />
<br />
logic check #2 :<br />
<br />
if you left-align a cell in one table...<br />
why would it cause a complately different table to align to the right?<br />
<br />
Answer; <br />
unless it is nested... or contained within a table that is not constructed properly (fully closed) it WON'T cause it to do that<br />
<br />
believe what you want.<br />
I pasted your code into my editor and it dispalyed an error on a <table> tag.<br />
<br />
That means that there was not a corresponding </table> tag.<br />
<br />
but...<br />
whatever.<br />
<br />
and plaese feel free to explain the logic of removing the left-align from a table that is different than the one which was ultimately affected.<br />
<br />
if it makes sense...<br />
i'll eat my hat.<br />
<br />
oh... and good job of putting the </table> tag in (i bet it helped STACK your tables properly) :)<br />
<br />
don't know why you are so defensive... the answer I gave was accurate :rolleyes: ...<br />
;) k<!--content-->I fixed the long line, sorry.<br />
<br />
Your analysis is incorrect. The explanation for why this solved the problem is in the long line that I have now wrapped properly.<br />
<br />
Bye now.<!--content-->

Back