Fitting page to browser

liunx

Can anyone tell me the best way (or point me in the right direction) to get a web page to fit 100% in a browser, no matter what the resolution, but also so that the tables dont collapse when the browser size is changed.<br />
<br />
At the moment Im making web pages in 800 x 600, so I always have a border on the right when viewed in a higher res.<!--content-->Set your TABLE WIDTH attributes to 100%. That way the the web page will fill the screen no matter what the resolution of the users screen.<!--content-->But then any tables that have text in them change when the browser size is changed...images too. How to I stop the tables changing size when some one shrinks their browser size ? <br />
Like this forum for example. If you make your browser smaller then you just get scroll bars rather than the page being re-arranged.<!--content-->Well, this forum uses fixed width. And you shouldn't be nesting tables or using tables for layout anyway. But a website should be able to resize, methinks. What are you doing that it is absolutely necessary to have a fixed width?<!--content-->It doesnt have to be fixed width, I just dont like the way the layout changes when the browser is reduced in size.<!--content-->Well, a well designed website SHOULD resize with the browser's size to a point. When you start getting to 400px, just forget about it. But it should look good un-maximized on a 800*600 screen, IMO. But it should also be able get larger, which is usually easier than downsizing, since I growing number of users have higher res screens. If IE were to EVER implement the webstandards, we could use the CSS atributes <br />
<br />
min-width<br />
max-width<br />
min-height<br />
max-height<br />
<br />
But since Internet Explorer is evil and won't support CSS, and since 94% of web users use IE, they're useless for now. :( In the meantime, make your widths percentages, and if an annoying border is appearing on the left, use<br />
<br />
style="border-left:0px;" in whichever tag is causing the issue.<!--content-->

Back