Filtering user input - clarification needed

Antemnstert

I would like to clarify what is the proper way to filter user input with php. For example I have a web form that a user enters information into. When submitted the data from the form will be entered into a database.My understanding is you don't want to sanitize the data going into the database, except for escaping it such as mysql_escape_string, you want to sanitize it when displaying it on the front end with something like htmlentities or htmlspecialchars. However if you want you can validate/filter the user input when they submit the form to make sure the data is in the proper format such as if a field is for an email address you want to validate that it has the proper email format. Is that correct?My next question is what do you do with the data when you re-display it in a web form? Lets say the user is allowed to edit the information in that form after they filled it out and the information was added to the database. They then go back in and see the data in the fields they originally entered, do you have to sanitize the data for it to show correctly in the form fields? For example there is a field called My Title, the person enters My title is "Manager". You see the quotations around manager, when you display it as is into the form field it breaks because of the quotations:\[code\]<input type="text" name="title" value="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3644899/My title is"Manager"">\[/code\]So don't you have to do something like htmlentities to turn the quotations into its html entities? Otherwise the value of the field would look like My title isHope this makes sense.

Back