Fans of Notepad, Unite!

liunx

For the few people who still consider notpad the best editing tool. Unite and form a pure-handcoders webmaster union!! Celebrate pure code!<!--content-->Sorta like a Yugo fan club.... :D<br />
<br />
I still use Notepad for quick and dirty changes to small files. But when you get into more complicated coding or actual programming, as versus coding a markup language like HTML, other editors are much better. <br />
<br />
I have grown very fond of color coding and having multiple files open and using nice features such as search and replace (which is great for PERL programming).<br />
<br />
I still like Notepad but when you find that its limited capabilities are slowing you down it's time to move on.<br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
Kevin<br />
<br />
[Edited by kevin on 03-03-2001 at 01:48 AM]<!--content-->F.A.L<br />
<br />
I'm hand coding in Notepad, deliberately to discipline myself (I am just starting out Web Design) it'd be too easy to pick up DWeaver and go 'bish bash bosh' ta-da -1 website.<br />
<br />
I also beat myself regulary wish small Willow branches, but that's a different forum ;p<br />
<br />
<br />
dirtystim<br />
<br />
<br />
ZX81 BASIC coders of the world er . . .unite!<!--content-->notepad is great and i still use it a fair bit. i try different editors but always go back to notepad. it seems to have some kind of magnetic pull which is strange because it isn't exactly packed with features!<br />
<br />
i pretty much agree with kevin. it's not practical for bigger jobs. when making more than minor changes i use 1st page 2000 now. i haven't started using most of its capabilites yet but opening many files at once and having colour coding makes editing even a small site much easier. i also love the way you can build up your own library of frequently used codes and just bung them into a page anytime you want.<br />
<br />
i am thinking about saving up to buy dreamweaver though. i know it is often discussed here & in the software forum, but i would like to know if, in view of my current liking of hand coding, it would be worth the investment? i get the impression that you really need a visual editor to come up with some of the visually impressive graphic sites i see on the web? am i right or do you just need more talent! :D guess i should Download <!--more--> a trial version to see if i like it but by puter hates large Download <!--more-->s, what size is dreamweaver??<!--content-->NotePad is good for hand-coding, but no match to NoteTab for that purpose. For people who don't want to do coding, use Weaver or Adobe GoLive!<!--content-->Did you know that notepad rhymes with helicopterpad<!--content-->I'm not sure what size dreamweaver is...after my trial ran out if got the full version. <br />
::cough cough *warez* cough cough::<br />
I find that Dreamweaver is a pretty good program, I guess when you really get down to hard core HTML, there are some things that Dreamweaver can't do. But damn, when I make sites, it takes half as long in Dreamweaver. When I want to position something using HTML, I have to use trial and error to get it in the right spot, in Dreamweaver it takes half a second. If i'm using a really graphical interface then splice it up, I really have trouble positioning all the images in tables using HTML, it is much easier with Dreamweaver. But is it worth $500? or whatever you pay? I dont know...<br />
Even if there wasn't warez, I wouldn't buy Dreamweaver. As a student I can't afford it. But it is no doubt the best WYSIWYG editor.<!--content-->My prefered editor is AceHTML, but if I just want to make a quick and simple change, I'll use Notepad.<br />
And I think that even though less people are using it, it will always be better than WYSIWYG! :D<!--content-->I wasn't trying to say WYSIWYG editors are better than plain 'ol HTML, they can just do something's a lil quicker. If you've got the time, HTML is definitely the way to go.<!--content-->It's all a matter of personal preference I guess :) I've tried a trial of Dreamweaver and didn't really like it. But I guess it's nice for those who can take the time to learn how to maxise DW. I prefer notepad myself. :)<br />
<br />
DW4 requires 110 MB of available hard disk and currently costs $299.00 fyi. :)<!--content-->Jalouda,<br />
<br />
I'd skip DW if I were you. I know it, used it, liked it, but once I started handcoding...I never went back to it. Anytime you insert DHTML or JS you'll need to go to a editor anyway. DW also writes nested tables and layers.....which can really screw up the layout of the page. My guess is that your already beyond DW anyway. Its for those who don't know hand coding. <br />
My copy of DW sits at 50megs. I mean, its a good tool....but nothing beats hand coding. Cool graphics are a part of the graphic design, not so much of the tool used. You can design cool looking graphics, and cool pages without DW.<!--content-->thanks for the advice guys - great to hear somne first hand views. looks like i might save my hard earned pennies for flash first (i'm a hard up student too john!).<br />
not sure about being past dreamweaver dr web but thanks for thinking so! - *basic* html is the extent of my knowledge at the moment. i'm not responsible or worthy of the guru under my name!!! ;)<!--content-->I love Notepad!<br />
I use it on my laptop, but all I make are files.<br />
Even so, it's still one of the best!<!--content-->Notepad for me is good and bad. Sometimes it adds little square where the spaces are!<br />
<br />
I prefer metapad the most ;)<!--content-->notepad doesn't do that, it is becasue you Download <!--more-->ed a file in ascii mode and those squares are where the returns are. so every time you see a square it means hit the enter button.<!--content-->Originally posted by kevin <br />
Sorta like a Yugo fan club.... :D<br />
<br />
<br />
[Edited by kevin on 03-03-2001 at 01:48 AM] <br />
<br />
That brings back memories of my mothers Yugo car, which we had to sell because spare parts were a rarity thanks to the war at the time. lol.<!--content-->Originally posted by fonzerelli_79 <br />
Did you know that notepad rhymes with helicopterpad <br />
it also rhymes with..... fanny pad!<br />
<br />
heh<!--content-->ULTRA EDIT TO TEH MAX :X<!--content-->Originally posted by Dr. Web <br />
Jalouda,<br />
<br />
I'd skip DW if I were you. I know it, used it, liked it, but once I started handcoding...I never went back to it. Anytime you insert DHTML or JS you'll need to go to a editor anyway. DW also writes nested tables and layers.....which can really screw up the layout of the page. My guess is that your already beyond DW anyway. Its for those who don't know hand coding. <br />
My copy of DW sits at 50megs. I mean, its a good tool....but nothing beats hand coding. Cool graphics are a part of the graphic design, not so much of the tool used. You can design cool looking graphics, and cool pages without DW. <br />
<br />
<br />
Beautifully put and really great advice for anyone looking at doing this for a living. If you're looking at developing websites you need to get under the hood period. I've used Allaire Homesite from the get go, the fact that Macromedia took over the company should give you some insight on what a great product this is... This product allows you to hand code while helping you with the more mundane tasks.<br />
<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/">http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
Cheers...<!--content-->

Back