Excess space in table

liunx

I have a table with two rows. The first row is split into three columns and the second is only one column. For some reason, even though all the text fits on one line, there is some extra spacing at the end of the first row. I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't fix it.<br />
<br />
example site:<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://khq.tintedreality.net/viewtopic.php?id=80">http://khq.tintedreality.net/viewtopic.php?id=80</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
You can view the source code, or here's the html for the table:<br />
<br />
<br />
<table width='100%' border='1' bgcolor=#00CCFF bordercolor=#000099><br />
<tr><br />
<td width='30%' valign='top' align='left'><font size='2'>Time Posted:&nbsp;<font color='#18910A'>10/21/2003 <font color='#CC0000'>@</font> 00:09</font></font></td><br />
<td width='40%' valign='top' align='center'><h3>Re-adjusting of teh time</h3></td><br />
<td width='30%' valign='top' align='right'><font size='2'>Poster:&nbsp;</font><font color='#FF4F36'><code>teh BARFFiMAN</code></font></td><br />
</tr><br />
<tr><td width='100%' colspan='3'><font size='2'><html>barf<br />
<br></html></font></td></tr><br />
</table><br />
<br />
<br />
It's really pissing me off.<!--content-->you have alot of invalid tags and nesting in that. take the <html> and <code> tags out and add the bolded part<br />
<br />
<table width='100%' border='1' bgcolor=#00CCFF bordercolor=#000099><br />
<tr><br />
<td width='30%' valign='top' align='left'><font size='2'>Time Posted: <font color='#18910A'>10/21/2003</font> <font color='#CC0000'>@</font> 00:09</font></td><br />
<td width='40%' valign='top' align='center'><h3 style="margin: 0;">Re-adjusting of teh time</h3></td><br />
<td width='30%' valign='top' align='right'><font size='2'>Poster: </font><font color='#FF4F36'>teh BARFFiMAN</font></td><br />
</tr><br />
<tr><td width='100%' colspan='3'><font size='2'>barf</font><br></td></tr><br />
</table><!--content-->ok, I added that style="margin: 0"; and it works, but what is that? Is there some other html tag I can add or modify so it works, instead of that?<!--content-->That is CSS, and I can't think of anything to replace it with. I would say that learning CSS is well worth your time, since everything is headed that way.<!--content-->Well, at the moment, I'm in love with php/mysql. Is a website that is a great starting point for CSS?<!--content-->CSS is the intended bread and butter for a web page. HTML, which you will have to use in every web page is the skeleton if you like. W3C released/implemented CSS to control the visual look of web pages, the muscle and tendons added to the afore mentioned skeleton.<br />
<br />
CSS is not so much a codeing or scripting language but more a bunch of defintions for how to display pages. If you are serious about web design then I would say it is vital you get at least a minimal understand of CSS.<br />
<br />
Here we go, too much time on my hands.<br />
<br />
CSS or cascading style sheets is about a cascade of design levels. I am writing this off the top of my head... If I am correct there are 5 levels to the cascade in a pecking order if you will. Depending where you include a given style in that pecking order it will overide or be overided by another style in that pecking order.<br />
<br />
This means you can have a generic external style sheet for your whole web page but change individual items in specific sub pages if it is needed. For example you can control the page colours in the external stylesheet to control every page in your web site but say that you want an individual page to behave differently by defining it with CSS in the individual page. Because the importance of the styles is higher when written in the page it overides the styles that are dictated to it from an external style sheet.<br />
<br />
A typical style written at the page level/tag would look something like this:<br />
<br />
<table style="border: solid 1px blue; width: 500px;"><br />
<br />
<br />
At the external level it would look like this.<br />
<br />
table {<br />
border: solid 1px blue;<br />
width: 500px;<br />
}<br />
<br />
Thats enough for now... a tiny taste of CSS. If want some expert advice go to <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.webmonkey.com">www.webmonkey.com</a><!-- w --><!--content-->thanks entimp<br />
<br />
overided == overwritten =D<!--content-->Originally posted by barffyman <br />
ok, I added that style="margin: 0"; and it works, but what is that? Is there some other html tag I can add or modify so it works, instead of that? <br />
on top of what everybody else said, why would you want to? css is way better than html. and to answer your question, no ther eis nothin else you could put in there to do what that did.<!--content-->

Back