Dreamweaver

liunx

Can I make a webpage using dreamweaver without any programming knowledge?? (um.. except visualbasic, which probably won't be of any help).<br />
<br />
If I can't do you know a simple program that I could use to make a website with no programming knowledge?<!--content-->Why not just learn HTML and CSS? They have great tutorials at W3 Schools. (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3schools.com">http://www.w3schools.com</a><!-- m -->) And if you learn to write code, you don't need a big expensive program like Dreamweaver. You can just use Notepad.<!--content-->yes you can make a website without any programming knowledge with dreamweaver. It won't be that great, but you can make one. I suggest learning some html first though...<!--content-->Josh, RJ? I'm in a cranky mood. Kindly take your sanctimonious attitudes elsewhere. Please. There's no need for scorn, just because someone requires a computer programme to assist them. I don't give you a hard time just because you have to use a computer programme to write a letter.<br />
<br />
GB, first off, welcome to the zoo! Most of the animals don't bite, but there are a few that do a fair bit of growling for no apparent reason. <br />
<br />
In answer to your question: Dreamweaver was specifically designed for web page creation. No programming knowledge of any kind is necessary. <br />
<br />
But DW is capable of doing other things as well. It can teach you how to set up an html page, how to create javascripts, and how to write CSS. You can also do minor animations with Dreamweaver, animations such as moving an object horizontally across the page or vertically down it. <br />
<br />
The manual will tell you how to create a given effect and using the HTML Inspector will show you how the information is to be laid out on a page. Later on, if you decide to get brave, you can create a page using the external editor that comes with DW (my Mac version had BBEditLite, but I'm not sure what comes with the PC version) and bring the page up in DW, which will then point out any mistakes you've made.<br />
<br />
How accurate the programme is with 'current' html depends on the version of DW. I'm fairly certain DreamweaverMX conforms to HTML4.01, but don't quote me on it. There are some tags that are deprecated - that is, they're going out of style. There's a list of those tags at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3.org">www.w3.org</a><!-- w --> (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3.org">http://www.w3.org</a><!-- m -->). Also, you can find current CSS information on the site. <br />
<br />
As a start, though, you could first create a CSS library (the manual will tell you how. If not, drop back here and we'll help you create one) and then create the page. Try a couple of test pages first before you create your main pages. That'll give you some idea of how the programme works.<br />
<br />
If you don't currently own a copy of DW, you can Download <!--more--> a trial version of it from Macromedia (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.macromedia.com">http://www.macromedia.com</a><!-- m -->). It's good for 30 days from the day you Download <!--more--> it.<br />
<br />
Does that help?<br />
<br />
Peg<!--content-->Pegasus,<br />
The latest version of Dreamweaver costs $399 (US). <br />
Notepad is free. The tutorials at W3 Schools are free. <br />
My intent was to save GhettoBusta a lot of money and help him get a solid foundation in webpage creation, which starts with learning HTML and CSS from the inside out. <br />
I wasn't being sanctimonious or scornful toward GB.<br />
Kindly post when you are not in a cranky mood. Please.:rolleyes:<!--content-->RJ, it always irritates me when people assume that the only way to create webpages is to hand-code everything. There are actually some people out there who are more concerned with the "content" of their site, than how it was created. <br />
<br />
Notepad may be free, but it doesn't help a beginner learn HTML. It doesn't show where you've made a mistake and it doesn't explain how to do things. And it's no bloody help at all when you're trying to figure out how to get your hard-done pages onto a website.<br />
<br />
A WYSIWYG editor is a great way to learn. It shows by solid example, not "spend hours doing this and this is what you should get" example. That has got to be the most frustrating part of learning both HTML and CSS. And if learning HTML and CSS the hard way is a good way to get "a solid foundation in webpage creation", websites like Webpages That Suck (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com">http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com</a><!-- m -->) wouldn't be in existence. Most of the showcased designers learned "HTML and CSS from the inside out." <br />
<br />
However, the original question wasn't what programme to use, but if a particular programme was usable. For the record, I didn't pay a cent to use Dreamweaver when I was starting out. I used the school computer and, trust me, I wish I'd had more of a description of the programmes than "Dreamweaver - WYSIWYG editor"; "FrontPage - WYSIWYG editor"; "Fireworks - animation"; "Director - animation"; "Photoshop - imaging"; "Paintbrush - imaging". I didn't know anything about HTML or CSS at the time. I'd never even heard of them, and I was expected to know which programme to use for a website that would have quite a few photos on it?<br />
<br />
I'm aware of the price of Dreamweaver. Yes, it is expensive. "FrontPage", to the best of my knowledge is less expensive than Dreamweaver, or CoffeeCup. Which is why I suggested Download <!--more-->ing a trial version of the programme. It could well be that the programme won't do what he needs it to do. We don't know. That's up to GB to decide.<br />
<br />
Peg<!--content-->I didn't mean to be mean. That wasn't my intent at all. I was just posting from personal experience. I started out with dreamweaver knowing nothing about html, and my website was horrible. As I gradually started learning html I didn't have to rely on design mode in dreamweaver only. I programmed more in the html part.<br />
<br />
SOrry if I seemed rude.<!--content-->ok thanks, I think I will start learning html in that case...<!--content-->I personally use DW MX 2004. ALL of my pages are 100% up to standards (according to the validator at w3.org), and after using DW, it took VERY little to get it there. Sure DW is kind of expensive, but it truely saves a LOT of time. I can do fairly complex tables, etc in a very short period of time.<br />
<br />
Now I have to say, I DO in fact use notepad for fixing certain things, but to tell the truth, there is no real reason for joe blow to learn HTML & CSS, until AFTER they've tried their hand at basic web page creation, and come up against something they want to do that a program like DW won't do.<br />
<br />
I also think that a Server Side language is just as important to know as HTML or CSS, if you want to make a good page, but I wouldn't tell a new guy to go learn php.<br />
<br />
Just my opinion.<!--content-->dreamweaver is expensive, but they are also right, learn html and CSS. But you can just make a website in DW without knowing HTML. <br />
<br />
my opinion...<br />
- learn HTML and start fresh:D<!--content-->you can save ALOT of money on dreamweaver if you buy the educational version. If you can't find it online, you could probably go to a local college's book store and give a student the money and get them to buy it for you. That's what I did here at NC State so I saved 300$ on it. <br />
<br />
The education version is exactly the same as all of the standard is.<!--content-->Another way to save a bit of money in the long run, is to buy the Dreamweaver Suite. And if you can get it at the educational price, so much the better. You get 4 programmes - DW, Fireworks, Flash and... <sigh> I forget what else - for the price of two programmes individually. Everything you'd ever need for web page development. <br />
<br />
DW also comes with BBEditLite in the Mac version. That's an external editor that you can use to create your pages and it will automatically drop the programme into DW for you to see the results. I use both in the course of designing a page. Most of my site is text based. Coding the page by hand just isn't a viable option when you're already dealing with files that would print out to about 8 pages single-spaced. I break it down where I can, but it's still an awful lot of work. DW helps me 'mind my <p>s and </p>s', so to speak.<br />
<br />
GB, if you find yourself getting confused over what goes where in HTML, feel free to drop back in and ask. We'll help where we can. *lol* Hopefully, without such explosive results next time, though?<br />
<br />
Peg<!--content-->Originally posted by hockyfan641 <br />
you can save ALOT of money on dreamweaver if you buy the educational version. If you can't find it online, you could probably go to a local college's book store and give a student the money and get them to buy it for you. That's what I did here at NC State so I saved 300$ on it. <br />
<br />
The education version is exactly the same as all of the standard is. <br />
<br />
I am a student :P<br />
<br />
As for the others, thanks a lot for all your info, I have started learning HTML, doesn't seem too complicated. As of dreamweaver, my dad lent me a copy, but I don't think I'll be using it.... looks more complicated than HTML itself.<!--content-->It does look like that at first glance. Just start messing around with it and you'll figure it out.<!--content-->

Back