Download word doc?

liunx

I am trying to get a Word Doc to Download <!--more--> from a simple text link but every time you click on it it just opens in a new browser window. I want the doc to downaload as if you right clicked and went "save as". Does anybody know if this is possible through HTML? :confused:<!--content-->Post the link on your web page. Then explain to the user that she/he should right click and save target as. This way they can Download <!--more--> the file.<br />
<br />
Or open the file and then save as from file in the tool bar.<!--content-->I'm looking for an alternative to doing that. I want the Download <!--more--> to work as if it where an exe or a zip. I would zip the word doc but the users of this page are mostly farmers and don't have or know how to use winzip.<!--content-->Originally posted by sintax321 <br />
I'm looking for an alternative to doing that. I want the Download <!--more--> to work as if it where an exe or a zip. I would zip the word doc but the users of this page are mostly farmers and don't have or know how to use winzip. <br />
<br />
<br />
if they are farmers, why do you want to make it harder for them to Download <!--more--> and display a simple doc file? Why not just open the doc in a new window? Work smart not hard.<!--content-->You could make a self-extracting .exe file with WinZip. This does not require the user to have a zip program. As far as I know, there is no way to keep the file from opening in a separate window. The only way it won't is if the user does not have Word installed, and then it wouldn't be of any use anyway.<br />
<br />
Alex Good<!--content-->I just want the save window to come up when they click and then they can click the save button. I could give them instructions to "right click" and "save as" or go file save once the file is open but I don't think they will understand that. Also if it opens in another window they probably won't realize that it opened in word and can save the file. I'm also trying to keep the pages free of clutter like instructions due to the heavy amount of text content already on the screen. I was just wondering if anyone had even seen some code that made a "left click" respond like a "right click" and "save as".<br />
<br />
PS. I'm not trying to make anyone "work hard". What i propose will be no harder than Download <!--more-->ing an exe. I'm just trying to do something a little differnet and give myself a chalange.<!--content-->well, you should consider your users before making a challenge for yourself. All this switch left click to perform like right click, and force Download <!--more--> of something that displays in the browser (IE5.5 and above) is making a usability nightmare. <br />
<br />
Your taking away what the user can rely on and expect. <br />
<br />
so, if you want to make it harder for your users (IE: make them Download <!--more--> files, save to somewhere, go and get the file, and then open it) rather than just let it open... sure go ahead. <br />
<br />
I only MAKE my users Download <!--more--> something that they have chosen to (IE: Download <!--more--> a zip of this file). Otherwise I display it. Better yet, I preview it in the browser for them. <br />
<br />
Last option? save it as a txt file, and then it should Download <!--more--> automatically. Keep in mind that the reason that ms lets IE open doc, xls files in the browser is because its time and brain saving. Its easier. Sometimes there is no need to Download <!--more--> a file when all you want to do is read it.<!--content-->The word documents don't need to be previewd they are forms that user wants to Download <!--more-->, edit, then fill out. They know whats on the form or else they wouldn't be Download <!--more-->ing it. They are currently in PDF form which makes the forms unable for the user to edit. I'm trying to give them the ablity to Download <!--more--> an editable version.<!--content-->why not just make a link that prints the form instead? or better yet, have them fill out the form ONLINE. <br />
<br />
Why all this bother with forcing 'a farmer' to Download <!--more-->, search for, open, edit, save, and maybe either send as attachment.... or print something. <br />
<br />
To you this may seem to be an easy task, but your not the farmer who cant take instructions on 'right click, save as'. <br />
<br />
I'm not trying to say that your idea won't work... but its hardly the most efficient means at your disposal. I believe that making the form online would be far simpler for the end user (count the number of steps and mouseclicks). I wean people off of paper forms all day long. Most people who've purchased something off of ebay/ amazon/ sent and email ... have already filled out an online form.<!--content-->

Back