Download, upload, stream, or what?

liunx

Ok I have some links and I have no clue weather they are uploads Download <!--more-->s, streams, or what. Could you help me out? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://speedsurf.to/akick/dlstories.html">http://speedsurf.to/akick/dlstories.html</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
If you decide to try the link remember it is dumb comedy.<!--content-->You spelled weather wrong.<!--content-->clicking on these links would be Download <!--more-->s. but here is a lowdown on how the internet works:<br />
<br />
when you click on a link, you upload to the server that you wish see where the link takes you. when the information comes back to you that would be Download <!--more-->. each time you view a page, you have to upload and Download <!--more--> what you want to see. uploads for general web surfing take less then 5 seconds. however depending on which site you visit it could take as long as how much the web designer put on his/her page. web sites like this would be very rare because web designers know people will use their back button when they get impatient (I know i would). <br />
<br />
Then there is FTP Download <!--more-->ing where you Download <!--more--> straight from FTP server, and you get a Download <!--more--> box asking where you wish to save the Download <!--more--> to.<br />
<br />
but in your case you are Download <!--more-->ing a audio sound file (can be called "audio stream").<!--content-->so with this audio stream does it actually get Download <!--more-->ed to the computer? like say a program?<!--content-->Not quite. there are at least three different ways a sound file gets to your computer.<br />
<br />
1) as a background sound in a web page (which is played by the browser<br />
2) a program that is already on your machine Download <!--more-->s it from the internet (like microsoft windows media player) and plays it<br />
3) you Download <!--more--> it via FTP site to your computer (your default player will play this)<br />
4) using a program that you first Download <!--more--> off the internet for Peer to peer sharing (Like Kazza although I would not recommend this unless you know how to secure your machine with a good firewall and a virus scanner)<!--content-->So my sound file arn't actually Download <!--more-->ed on to the persons computer?<!--content-->If it wasn't Download <!--more-->ed then the user wouldn't be able to hear and/or see it. Everything that someone can see or hear on their PC they can save.<br />
<br />
Whatever you put on your page will be Download <!--more-->ed.<br />
<br />
Therefore anything you put online can be Download <!--more-->ed.<!--content-->what lavalamp means is that most browsers keep a cache of pages, images, and other files that are seen/heard when you view a page. many of these browsers keep them all saved onto your computer so that when you go back to the page, it loads faster. with IE and Opera and Netscape (I think) you can open up the cache folder and all of the web pages, images, etc. that you've viewed are sitting right in front of you.<!--content-->Apart from the cache, in IE you can just right click on a picture click "save as". With all browsers you can right click on a link and click "save target as" or "save link to disk" so if you link to a file then it can be saved very easily.<br />
<br />
You could use a script to block right click but this would simply aggravate your users, also anyone could just view the source and take the URL from there.<br />
<br />
If you don't want something to be taken, don't put it on the web. There are data protection laws but because they are so hard to enforce they are often violated with no repurcussions.<!--content-->Originally posted by bz38 <br />
You spelled weather wrong. Boy, are you gonna be busy here!<!--content-->

Back