DCOM singleton replacement

slibraMar

We have an old legacy web application. The architecture consists of:[*](classic) ASP pages serving client's browsers; VB script, thousands of them[*]out-of-process DCOM server called by ASP (IIS); MFC, singleton, exe[*]database; one or more schemas[*]supplemental ASP.NET application calling the DCOM serverThe roles of server are:
  • to handle user login, logout and licensing
  • to keep user session information
  • to generate UI
  • to secure/authorize user actions
  • to retrieve and store data in database
Because those many roles of the server, the calling interface between ASP (IIS) and DCOM server is rather wide and heavily used throughout those many pages.
The main problem lays in IIS calling DCOM server and becomes bigger with newer Windows servers. Starting with Windows server 2008 this combination is almost not maintainable at all. With UAC in place even singleton out-of-process DCOM server fails to work (different processes are started in different security contexts).I'd like to keep the MFC/C++ code of the server and it running as a singleton (despite all the cons). Those many ASP pages are the most dynamic and always changing part of the application and I'd like to keep them unchanged. I might sacrifice the supplemental ASP.NET application.What would be the best replacement of a singleton out-of-process DCOM interface of the server? I consider performance and future maintenance the most important.(I can see an identical .Net interface as a COM replacement, but my main concern was keeping it one-process-singleton in my first iterations.)