CSS: Disappearing Pseudo-Classes

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone come across this little wrinkle?<br />
<br />
My team is developing a cascading style sheet which is being LINKed in to a set of intranet pages. Some class entries on the sheet have pseudo-classes as well: e.g.<br />
.MiniLink<br />
{<br />
COLOR: blue;<br />
FONT-SIZE: 8pt;<br />
FONT-STYLE: italic;<br />
TEXT-DECORATION: none<br />
}<br />
.MiniLink:hover<br />
{<br />
COLOR: orange<br />
}<br />
<br />
First thing to note is, this actually works (ie. mouseover turns the text orange if this class is specified on an Anchor tag), at least on this site which only uses IE4 or later.<br />
<br />
But... something somewhere is eating my hovers! The stylesheet is edited either using Notepad, or through Visual InterDev. And twice now we've suddenly discovered that the ':hover' characters have just plain disappeared, leaving us with two definitions for the basic class (of which, because of the cascade rules, only the second is applied).<br />
<br />
Now, I don't think that Notepad has the intelligence to do this. And all the other obvious causes, like miscommunicaton within the team, etc., have been looked at. Which kind of points a finger towards Interdev, for me.<br />
<br />
Does anyone recognise this?<br />
<br />
----<br />
<br />
IgNotius<br />
:D (grinning through gritted teeth)<!--content-->Our team uses Allaire Homesite, and we have had problems with text/entire files mysteriously vanishing. I norrowed our problem down to a corruption that took place during ftp transfer to our dev server. We did some maintenance on the server in question and haven't had many problems since. Are you working with live files on a development server (NT)? <br />
<br />
I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but it sounds like it could be a similar software issue to me.<br />
<br />
Good Luck! <br />
- sillyfish<!--content-->sillyfish<br />
<br />
Thanks for the info. Our servers are running NT, but this problem all happens on the one box - no transfers involved. All that's happening is that some text is removed from some lines - it's specifically the ":hover" characters so it's clearly not random, hence my suspicion of Interdev. But I can't reproduce the problem at will.<br />
<br />
This is further supported, I noticed today, by the way that Interdev actually removes all comments from stylesheet code! Cheek!! Anyone care to - erm - comment on that? (This one is reproducible!). Maybe I'm mis-using the beast? I'm back to Notepad now for .css editing, until I find something a bit more helpful.<br />
---- <br />
<br />
IgNotius<!--content-->

Back