Cms

liunx

Hello<br />When is it that you need a CMS? For very comprehensive sites? Wouldn't Cpanel be considered a CMS, at least a basic one? Would a CMS such as Drupal be installed inside the Cpanel? If a particular CMSdoesn't offer a certain feature, is there still a way to have the feature on your site by installing it seperately? I've seen Drupal recommended on the forum a few times and I went to the CMS comparison site and noticed another CMS that was the most popular on the site and compared the features to Drupal, which the other had more features but used perl rather than php. I'm sure it depends on what you need for your site as to which CMS is the best for someone, the same with the scripting language(?) used, but could someone give me an idea of the benefits of php over perl or vice versa? I'm just now starting to learn basic php, I think perl is a bit harder to learn at first. Is that correct?<br />Thanks in advance for any replies<!--content-->
While I can't elude too much to CMS', I can say that Cpanel is not a CMS, but a control panel (hence the name). As for PHP vs Perl, I can't answer that either as I don't program in either (though I am considering picking up PHP just for web purposes).<!--content-->
Perl and PHP are both scripting languages. I'll probably get bashed here in a minute but when working with databases, especially MySQL databases, PHP is more suited to the task. Not to say that you can't work with databases with Perl.<br /><br />The choice is up to the person doing the implementation. The language they are comfortable with.<br /><br />As Aaron states, cPanel is not a CMS but a control panel that brings a lot of tools together under one interface.<br /><br />If you want a static site you don't need to a CMS. IF you want a dynamic site using a database a CMS helps manage it better than if you tried doing it all by hand.<!--content-->
Also, with a CMS you can assign different people to be "responsible" for content in different areas. That way, you are not the only person editing the site and it can free up your time. <br /><br />I'm doing that on a youth soccer club site and it comes in handy during tournaments! I'm busy refereeing games and the LAST thing I want to do after a long day is go home and update a web site. I allow one person to update the tournament section directly from the tournament site. And everyone is happy!<!--content-->
A CMS is definitely a good thing for a purpose like Steve is describing. Anything "community" oriented is a great candidate for a CMS (or even a forum).<!--content-->

Back