Charset encoding

liunx

What character set encoding should I use and what difference does it make?<br />
<br />
Dreamweaver defaults to iso-8859-1<br />
<br />
and CSE HTML editor recommends charset=us-ascii<br />
<br />
Thanks.<!--content-->Use iso-8859-1. I've experienced some problems like corrupt letters with the other one.<!--content-->You need to declair the character set that your editor is using. Generally speaking, in the US of A if you are using the characters on your keeyboard then you should use "iso-8859-1" or "utf-8", the second being a super set of the first which is, in turn, a super set of "us-ascii". The problem arises with Windows which uses Bill's own special character encoding for things that aren't on the keyboard. For those, just stick to the entities.<!--content-->Thanks for the reply.<br />
<br />
I am in the United Kingdom does this make any difference?<!--content-->Originally posted by purpleski <br />
I am in the United Kingdom does this make any difference? <br />
No, not really.<br />
<br />
May be you want to use <html lang="en-uk"> to indicate that the language is UK English (as opposed to en-us).<!--content-->I am in the United Kingdom does this make any difference?If your editor is using a different character set from the one set in the document, users could miss out on things things like pound signs ("&pound;"), particularly if their browser is set to a different character set by default (though you could get around this by using the &pound; entity instead)<br />
<br />
ISO-8859-1 should do the trick for you; in this case, Dreamweaver knows what it's doing.<!--content-->I was wondering what the general opinion on windows-1252 which I thought was the windows default. As it wasn't mentioned above, am I to assume that nobody uses this or that it just didn't come up?<!--content-->

Back