Character encoding issues and PHP - what encoding is this?

KuRi

I have a file on my computer that I wanted to copy into a MySQL table using PHP. When I open the file the contents look fine, like normal text - but, when I attempt to read the file using PHP or insert into a MySQL table, I get all sorts of funky characters. I thought perhaps it was a utf-8 issue, so I tried setting the header\[code\]header('Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8');\[/code\]And then echoing the contents retrieved by file_get_contents(), but that didn't make any difference - the output was still funky. I then thought perhaps it was a cp1252 issue so I tried using htmlentities() but that also didn't help:\[code\]htmlentities($str, ENT_QUOTES, 'cp1252')\[/code\]I then uploaded the file to a website (here). On the server when I 'cat' the file, it again looks normal, but in Firefox when I open it I get the funky characters. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like to me: screenshotOddly I copied the same exact file to another website's folder on the same server, and yet when I open this file at the new URL (see here) the same file appears different in Firefox - still some funky characters, but less of them. A screenshot of the different appearance: screenshotDoes anybody know what's going on here, and how I can clean the characters up? What character encoding is this file using - and why does the same file look different in Firefox when copied from one website on the server to another?

Back