Changing Resolutions

liunx

Hi<br />
<br />
Does anyone know any script for adjusting your site to fit all screen resolution sizes? I have built my site in 1024x768 but it shrinks in any screen size smaller and has toolbars all over it.<br />
Would this be easy to fix?<br />
<br />
Thanks!<!--content-->You need to build your site using fluid layout. This includes using percentage widths rather than pixel widths.<!--content-->Hi<br />
<br />
I do have my index in % rather than in pixels. Could you explain what I would need to do to make it fluid?<br />
<br />
Many Thanks<br />
Index:<br />
<br />
<HTML><br />
<FRAMESET ROWS="16%,*" frameborder="0" scrollbar="0"><br />
<FRAME NAME="TOP" SRC=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"TOP.HTM"><br />
<br />
<FRAMESET COLS="25%,*" FRAMEBORDER="no"><br />
<FRAME NAME="LEFT" SRC=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"LEFTNAV.HTM"><br />
<FRAME NAME="RIGHT" SRC=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"MAIN.HTM"><br />
<br />
</FRAMESET></FRAMESET><br />
<br />
</html><!--content-->That would be fluid because it changes for your users. If it isnt working you can do a java script browser detect and make about 3 different index pages for different resolution but that method is a huge pain in the butt. Preview your site on all resolutions you can have on your computer and see if it looks the way it should, then preview it on mozilla and opera too just at normal then find someone with a different operating system then you and ask them to preview it. (thats what I do)<!--content-->Please post a link to the site so I can see exactly what is happening. This, perhaps, is an example of actually needing to use pixel widths. That happens sometimes with frames, as 16% of a 1024x768 res is going to be different from 16% of a 800x600 res...<!--content-->Thank you for your replies.<br />
<br />
This site is not live yet. I was hoping that there was a way that web builders got around this problem. I have tried opening with different resolutions and alot of the frames are way too big and you need to scroll to see the other side of the page.<br />
Let me know if theres anything I can send you instead to help you see what Im doing....<br />
<br />
many thanks<br />
<br />
jack<!--content-->Just .zip up the relavant pages, and upload them to the forums...<!--content-->Hope this is everything you need.....<!--content-->On the page that you set up your frames, try setting the top frame to 96 pixels and the left frame to 25 pixels...<!--content-->Hi<br />
<br />
I changes to pixels but had to make left 200 as you couldnt see it set at the amount you advised. I changed resolution but it still shows in v large format with scroll bars. Did it work on your own pc ok?<br />
<br />
Thanks for your help<br />
<br />
Jackie<!--content-->No, there was still a horizontal scroll for me as well, and the problem is that your images are too large. You'll probably want to find smaller images to use in your top navigation bar.<!--content-->OK. I will take your advice and see how it looks.<br />
I also notice that in javascriptsource you can "build" several sites in diff resolution sizes and link to them depending on size of screen the user has. Is this a tried and successful method in your opinion?<br />
<br />
ie<br />
<br />
if (screen.width <= 640) {<br />
document.location = "640x480.htm";<br />
}<br />
<br />
else if (screen.width <= 800) {<br />
document.location = "800x600.htm";<br />
}<br />
<br />
Thank you......<!--content-->As long as javascript is enabled (it is not for 13%). If you use that, be sure to set up a default page that they will get the users do not have javascript enabled.<!--content-->OK...thanks for the advice!<!--content-->You're welcome... :)<!--content-->

Back